One of the sculptures documented by Hallie Williams in her photo walk on Feb. 14, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/ Hallie Williams)
Hallie Williams

Reimagining Vanderbilt Sculptures: Turning Art into Art

Staff photographer Hallie Williams reenvisions some of the trademark statues on campus.

Walking around Vanderbilt’s campus, one may or may not notice the impressive amounts of sculptures that line the sidewalks and dot the greenery.  While the red sculpture by The Student Life Center is a clear stand-out and every first-year has walked by the Martha Ingram Rivers statue, many of the more obscure and smaller statues remain overlooked. I personally have walked to and from East house a million times and never once noticed the sculpture “Map Turtle: Graptemys Geographica” right outside the front door.

Never fear, for I have turned one of my daily walks around campus into a sculpture hunt and brought my camera along with me.

Photographing art has always been intriguing to me, because photography in itself is an art form. So rather than just take photos of the art around campus in a boring, documenting way, I decided to reinvision some of the works. Using framing, lighting, incorporation of background and cropping, I’ve turned established art into new art. 

Original Title: Tumbleweed 

One of the sculptures documented by Hallie Williams in her photo walk on Feb. 14, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/ Hallie Williams) (Hallie Williams)

Location: Outside Student Life Center on corner 

Artist: Mark di Suvero 

Through the Lens Title: Nash

New Description: To me, the new framing of this statue alludes to a guitar, a lock and key, and oozes Nashville vibes. Depending on how you view it, and with a little creativity the name can serve as a jumping off point for new interpretations and connections to the city of Nashville.

Original Title:  Flying Torso

Location: Outside Eskind Library (by circle drive on way through the Medical Center cut through)

Artist: Alan LeQuire

Through the Lens Title: Accentuate 

New Description: The lighting here seems to call out parts of the figure. Highlighting certain parts of the body and shadows on others

Original Title: Antirocker

Location: Between Buttrick Hall and Rand 

Artist: Steve Benneyworth

Through the Lens Title: Whizz

New Description:  Rather than focus on the entire washer shape as a whole, I chose to focus on the center and ensuing spiral and encapsulate the texture and weathering. 

Original Title: Being II Becoming

Location: Wall of Sarratt 

Artist: Stephen Schaum 

Through the Lens Title: Off the Walls

New Description: The orientation of this piece brings the question of gravity and structure to the front of discussion. The viewer has to confront this, which gives this piece an interesting dynamic. 

Original Title: “Eighteen Campus Types”

Location: Rand Outside Dining Area 

Artist: Lawrence Anthony 

Through the Lens Title: Fellas

New Description: This is one of my favorite pictures as the fall leaves and lights in the background bring out the occurrence of a few fellas conversing and enjoying life under the market lights.

Original Title: The Fault

Location: Between McGill and Tolman Hall 

Artist: Viviane Silvera 

Through the Lens Title: Ode to the Unreachable 

New Description: A different perspective and angle of this statue highlights the outreached hands of a younger human. Both practically and figuratively, the title nods to the future of growth and clean slate that has yet to be filled. 

Original Title: Memory: Return

Location: In front of Alumni Hall 

Artist: Ann Hirsch

Through the Lens Title: Giving Back

New Description: The framing of this photo lends to the fact that while the older woman is helping the younger girl the girl is also providing support from the ground up for the older. Each are giving something to one another and the striking contrast of colors pops out and is representative of the benefits both are receiving.

Original Title: Cylinder Fragments

Location: Outside the Student Life Center

Artist: Steve Benneyworth

Through the Lens Title: Ribbed

New Description: Again, texture becomes the central focus point of this piece. Turning a vertical piece horizontal automatically adds an interesting layer to it, but the narrow frame completely redefines what one sees and takes away from it.

Original Title: Endless Column

Location: Garland Hall (Central Library Quad)

Artist: Steve Benneyworth

Through the Lens Title: Occurrence

New Description: By taking this photo at night with flash I refocused the column shape of this piece into the texture and sharp contrast of the lines against the dark and plain background. Similarly, the occurrence of the small light in the background also adds an interesting dimension to this piece. 

Original Title: Water and Sun

Location: Between North House and Cohen Memorial 

Artist: Nic Jonk

Through the Lens Title: Azure Web

New Description: A zoomed in approach to viewing this piece highlights the different blue colors and round obtuse shapes and divots.

Original Title: Owls Outlook

Location: Magnolia Circle by Peabody LIbrary 

Artist: Frank Fleming

Through the Lens Title: In bloom 

New Description: Juxtaposing the top half of the sculpture against the blooming spring trees and blue sky, this new piece highlights the oncoming spring and summer through the focus on the dominant flower and stem.

Original Title: Come Play

Location: Between Commons Center and Hobbs HDL 

Artist: Katherin Haven 

Through the Lens Title: Helping Hand 

New Description: By framing only part of the statue and focusing on the almost embracing almost touching arms and hands I focused this piece on the instant before contact: drawing tension between the viewer and the piece.

For more information on art on Vanderbilt’s Campus, including map of all statues across campus, check out this link.