SSO sign-in issue causes Brightspace, Anchorlink crash; Apple Wallet Commodore card also malfunctioning

At approximately 8:30 p.m. CDT, the VUIT online help desk acknowledged that “many/all users” were having issues with SSO sign-ins. VUIT said the problem was resolved by about 10:30 p.m.
Alex Venero
Red sculpture outside Student Life Center, photographed on Sept. 10, 2020. (Hustler Multimedia/Alex Venero)

A university-wide system issue has caused problems with the Single Sign-On (SSO) feature of their VUnet ID.

“We are working to get this resolved as quickly as possible,” Vanderbilt University Information Technology (VUIT) said in an email statement to The Hustler at approximately 9:53 p.m. CDT. “We apologize for the inconvenience.”

At 10:31 p.m. CDT, the VUIT help desk told The Hustler the issue appears to be resolved. 

First-year Nisala Kalupahana, who stated that he had never previously had issues accessing Brightspace or Anchorlink, found he was unable to do so after checking at approximately 8:30 p.m. CDT tonight. Kalupahana said that he saw other first-years inquiring about difficulties with Brightspace in a GroupMe called “Vandy 2024 questions.”

Per Kalupahana, first-years who had logged out of Brightspace were unable to sign back in. Kalupahana said he sent an inquiry to the online help desk where a representative said that VUIT was working to identify the issue.

“This is a pretty massive outage, and they’re saying they don’t have an ETA to fix it yet, and people’s stuff is still gonna be due in a couple hours,” Kalupahana said before VUIT sent an email statement saying that the issue had been resolved.

Students also reported issues accessing their Commodore Card via Apple Wallet, Kalupahana said. 

Nicole Owens, a first-year, said she tried to get into Stambaugh House at approximately 5:30 p.m. CDT today. When she attempted to use the Commodore Card on her Apple Wallet, she stated that the card reader flashed green but did not let her in the building. However, she said that when she used her physical card, the doors operated as usual. She also attempted to use her Commodore Card via Apple Wallet on the elevator, which she also said did not work until she used her physical card. 

Owens said that she had never experienced issues using the Commodore Card on her Apple Wallet before this instance today.

“I have not heard of that [Commodore Card] specific issue, but it is most likely related to the sign-on issue affecting many [Vanderbilt] systems,” the representative told Kalupahana via the help desk chat. “Thank you for the information.”

The Hustler has reached out to the university and Card Services Director Mark Brown for comment.

The Hustler will update this story as more information becomes available.

Charlotte Mauger contributed reporting to this piece.