What’s coming this February in entertainment

The Life Staff breaks down the most anticipated television and film releases of Feb. 2020
Narcos: Mexico Season 2 is coming to Netflix Feb. 13

January is a historically lackluster month in the world of entertainment, so things are looking up in the coming weeks as February promises to bring an interesting lineup of shows and movies. While the movies each have their own flaws that could detract from their overall quality, this month will feature the return of several incredible TV series well worth wasting an entire Saturday binge-watching. Here’s a breakdown of the biggest releases in entertainment to come: 

Films

Birds of Prey (Feb. 7)

“Birds of Prey” has big shoes to fill as the first superhero movie to come out since the smash hit “Joker.” This film focuses on Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn character from “Suicide Squad” as she joins forces with other heroines in Gotham City. This movie boasts an ensemble cast, including Mary Elizabeth Winstead (“10 Cloverfield Lane”) and Ewan McGregor (“Star Wars” franchise). There hasn’t been a ton of hype for this movie, but early reviews say that it’s fun, brutally violent, and features McGregor as the best villain so far in the DC Extended Universe. DC Comics movies have widely varied in quality over the past few years, from the brilliant (“Wonder Woman, “Joker”), to the mediocre (“Man of Steel”), to the outright bad (“Suicide Squad”). Time will tell where “Birds of Prey” will fall in this spectrum.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Feb. 14)

The Internet had a field day with the first trailer for this movie, with its creepy, lifelike CGI rendition of the cartoon character. The reaction caused the filmmakers to push back the release date of the film from Nov. 2019 to this month in order to redesign the looks of the main character to please a wider audience. New trailers and scenes make the film seem much more enjoyable and crowd-pleasing. This movie features Ben Schwartz (“Parks and Recreation”) as the voice of the titular character, with supporting roles from James Marsden (“X-Men”) and Jim Carrey (“Ace Ventura: Pet Detective”). This film could either be an enjoyable romp that’s fun for the whole family or a so-bad-it’s-good cult classic– there doesn’t seem to be a lot of middle ground.

The Invisible Man (Feb. 28)

“The Invisible Man” is the newest horror movie released by Blumhouse, a production company noted for producing horror classics such as “Paranormal Activity,” “Get Out” and “Halloween” on shoestring budgets. This film stars Elisabeth Moss (“The Handmaid’s Tale) as a woman who believes her abusive ex-husband has found a way to turn invisible. This movie seems to touch on relevant themes such as gaslighting, abusive relationships and he-said, she-said legal cases. Directed by Leigh Whannell, who created the “Saw” franchise and directed 2018’s “Upgrade,” this film has a great cast, an interesting storyline and the potential to be the first great horror movie of the decade.

TV Series

Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Season 7 (Feb. 6)

The beloved NBC police sitcom returns for its seventh season this month. Starring Andy Samberg, the series revolves around a police precinct in New York City and their various hijinks. Audiences know what they’re getting from this show at this point: Halloween heists, “Die Hard” references and one of the funniest deadpan characters on television in Raymond Holt. From the minds behind “The Office,” “Parks and Recreation” and “The Good Place,” this series shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Briarpatch (Feb. 6)

“Briarpatch” is the story of an investigator, Allegra Dill, who returns to her hometown in Texas after her sister’s murder. Dill soon discovers a network of corruption plaguing her hometown, which she seeks to unravel as the story progresses. Dill is played by Rosario Dawson, known for her roles in such TV shows and movies as “Zombieland: Double Tap, “Daredevil” and “Sin City. The show’s executive producer is mastermind Sam Esmail, the man behind the critically-acclaimed “Mr. Robot,” and it’s written by one of the screenwriters from the mind-bending X-Men series “Legion.” The pilot of this neo-western was screened at the Toronto International Film Festival. It remains to be seen whether “Briarpatch” can fill the USA programming hole left by “Mr. Robot.”

Narcos: Mexico, Season 2 (Feb. 13)

With a brilliant first season under its belt, “Narcos: Mexico” season two has already generated significant excitement from critics and viewers alike. This season follows the premise of season one, building on the story of Félix Gallardo and his countless struggles in maintaining the infamous Guadalajara cartel as he battles against the DEA and his competitors. Following the painfully intense season one finale, which saw the fall of several major characters and the sharp decline of the Guadalajara cartel’s strength and size, season two has many, many loose ends to tie up. Directed by and starring Diego Luna (“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”), it is safe to say that the season is in good hands. However, with such a gripping first season the show has set an incredibly high bar for itself, and viewers are apprehensive as to whether it will meet expectations.

Better Call Saul, Season 5 (Feb. 23)

Having received scores of 97%, 97%, 97% and 99% on Rotten Tomatoes for its past four seasons respectively, “Better Call Saul” season five is sure to be a hit. Following the young attorney Jimmy McGill, whose original appearance was in the acclaimed TV crime-thriller “Breaking Bad,” the show embodies the constant tension and excitement of its predecessor. Despite debuting two years after the legendary finale of “Breaking Bad,” the events of “Better Call Saul” actually take place six years prior to the rise of Walter White. The show depicts McGill’s transformation from a struggling young attorney to the shifty Saul Goodman, known for representing the former infamous protagonist. 

Hunters (Feb. 21)

As television has evolved over the past ten years, more and more talented film directors, writers and actors have begun to migrate to the medium for at least one show. Al Pacino, one of the most iconic actors of all time, makes his first TV appearance of the decade in “Hunters.” Set in 1970’s New York, the show tracks a group of people led by Pacino’s character as they hunt down former Nazis now living among the American people. Releasing on Amazon, this series promises to touch on political themes and provide on-brand bloody violence. Executive producer Jordan Peele (“Get Out”) is sure to combine themes from various Amazon originals, such as the brutality of “The Boys” and “The Man in the High Castle.” This is an interesting original story– it remains to be seen whether the show itself lives up to the hype generated by its star-studded cast.