Ph.D. student passes away

Scott was a student in quantitative and chemical biology and a Navy veteran.
(Photo courtesy Claire Barnett)

First-year graduate student Michelle Evon Scott passed away, according to an email to students from Dean of Students Mark Bandas. Scott was pursuing a Ph.D. in quantitative and chemical biology. The cause of death has not been determined, according to the email sent Saturday afternoon. The email did not include when Scott passed away.

Scott was involved with the Graduate School Council and research on campus, the email said. Evon was also a Navy Veteran, having served in Iraq.

From San Diego, Scott completed her undergraduate degree at Grossmont College and a Master’s program at San Diego State University.

The full text of the email is available below:

Dear Vanderbilt Students,

It is with sorrow that I write to share the tragic news of the death of Michelle Evon Scott, a first-year graduate student pursing her Ph.D. in Quantitative and Chemical Biology. At this time, a cause of death has not been determined.

Michelle had a passion for quantitative science and was involved in the Graduate Student Council and working as a graduate student research assistant.

Originally from San Diego, Michelle recently moved to Nashville to pursue her degree at Vanderbilt. She received a Master’s degree from San Diego State University where she was studying the over expression of IDH1 activity in glioblastomas. Michelle completed her undergraduate degree at Grossmont College. Michelle was a Navy veteran, having served our country in Iraq. She was a valued member of the Vanderbilt community and beyond.

We extend our deepest condolences to Michelle’s family, friends, classmates, and faculty. Our entire community mourns her loss. Please know that support services are available to help you during this difficult time. We encourage you to reach out if you need assistance:

• Call the University Counseling Center at 615-322-2571 to speak with an on-call mental health provider. Counselors are available for support in person or by telephone.

This is a very difficult time for Michelle’s family and friends, and for our community. Please know that we are here to assist you in any way possible.

Mark Bandas
Associate Provost & Dean of Students

Rachel Friedman
Rachel Friedman, Former Editor in Chief
Rachel Friedman was a student in the College of Arts & Science who studied history and mathematics. Before serving as Editor in Chief, Rachel was the Campus Editor of The Hustler. You can reach her at [email protected].

Shane

Grossmont College is a Community College.
Michelle earned her BS from San Diego State University.

Michael Kochen

R.I.P. Michelle