Aertson graduates: apartment complex decides to no longer lease to undergraduates

Starting with the 2020-2021 school year, Aertson Midtown will not allow new undergraduate students to live in the complex
Aertson Midtown sits across 21st Ave. from Vanderbilt’s campus.

Aertson Midtown Apartments, one of the most popular off-campus living destinations for Vanderbilt students, is discontinuing its practice of leasing to undergraduate students. Its decision to discontinue leasing to undergrads is a result of a change in company policy, according to Leasing Consultant Sarah Sharp. To prevent parents from leasing on behalf of students, the Leasing Office notes a specific addendum in the leasing agreement clarifying that no undergraduates may lease or reside in the apartments.

According to a Nov. 11 email sent by the Office of Housing and Residential Experience (OHARE), 900 3rd- and 4th-year students will be granted off-campus housing next fall. Students at OHARE’s Off-Campus Housing Fair in November were considering their options for the upcoming 2020-21 Off-Campus Housing Application deadline of Jan. 21, and the table representing Aertson was noticeably absent. 

“I do think that’s kind of crazy, I know a lot of people always talk about wanting to live there and it’s really nice,” sophomore Tess Ostroff said. “But, it doesn’t devastate me because I feel like there are other options.” 

Students have chosen to live in Aertson for its location on Music Row and amenities including a rooftop terrace, pool, fitness center, at-home dining service, theater lounge and spa. The apartments begin around $1,300 per bedroom for a two-bedroom apartment, according to the Aertson Midtown website.

“It is a very nice place and seems high quality. And for a bunch of college students to come and wreck the place, it seems like the owners wouldn’t want that,” junior Zach Iseler said. 

Aertson is aiming to transition to a more elegant, adult living space to better suit the growing Nashville market, according to Aertson Property Manager Wes Schmitz. While current occupants will be grandfathered in and allowed to keep living in Aertson, future undergraduates will not be allowed to live on the property.

“My initial reaction was that on the business side is it’s a wasted opportunity to occupy units for students that are willing to pay full price. On the flip side, I’ve enjoyed my experience there so much and have enjoyed having a large Vanderbilt presence in my building,” Vanderbilt senior and Aertson resident Joey Minkowitz said.

The end of Aertson, however, also coincides with the birth of new housing options, both on and off-campus. The upcoming demolition of Carmichael Towers East brings about the addition of Nicholas S. Zeppos College and the conversion of townhomes at Village at Vanderbilt to a residence hall format. Additionally, the multitude of options offered at the Off-Campus Housing Fair offered students even more opportunities to find next year’s home.

“I see it as a shame that other students might not have this opportunity but at the same time I recognize that it’s not the place, it’s the community, which I know will just move to a different location,” Minkowitz said.

Eva Durchholz contributed reporting for this article.