VH New Music Fridays: Temples, Carly Pearce and more

In VH New Music Fridays, the Life staff covers this week’s new music releases, from pop to country to alternative.

Country & Americana: Alexa Bussmann

“I Hope You’re Happy Now” Carly Pearce and Lee Brice

Carly Pearce is an underestimated force in country music, as is Lee Brice. This duet proves that both are worthy of the spotlight. Country music is known for its duets, and “I Hope You’re Happy Now” is a duet more than worthy of its genre. Pearce and Brice deliver a classic breakup song that makes up in artistry for what it lacks in lyrical creativity. This single reminded me of Pearce’s collaboration with the Josh Abbott Band on “Wasn’t That Drunk.” Both songs are powerful duets wrought with emotion and talent.

“SOUND & FURY” Sturgill Simpson

Sturgill Simpson is Americana’s best-kept secret. I reviewed the first single from “SOUNDS & FURY” a few weeks ago, and the full album is a masterpiece in its own right. Simpson’s creativity is encapsulated in the album’s first track, “Ronin,” which starts with the sounds of boots on gravel, a slamming car door and the crackle of radio static before launching into a moody guitar solo. The album’s cover art features a sports car and a fiery explosion, perfectly capturing the force and intensity of “SOUND & FURY.” This release signals a shift for Simpson towards a rock sound, but it’s a shift that he’s done incredibly well.

“Getting Good” Lauren Alaina

American Idol sweetheart Lauren Alaina released her first single in a while this week, and it’s simple yet deeply meaningful. Alaina sings about yearning to feel like we’ve “made it,” and the hole it can leave in our hearts. By the end of the song, Alaina comes to terms with living in the present and enjoying where her life is at today. I don’t expect to hear this single on the radio, but it’s a great reminder to be thankful for what we have. 

Indie & Alternative: Angela Karas

“Holy Horses” Temples 

Temples’ latest LP, “Hot Motion, dropped today, and “Holy Horses” was an immediate standout. Despite a somewhat bizarre title, the song encapsulates perfectly executed psychedelic rock. “Holy Horses” features strong vocals and bass, and proves an exceptionally versatile song that would translate seamlessly from late-night study to workout playlists. Comparisons have often been drawn between Temples and Tame Impala, but “Holy Horses” shows that the band is charting new territory by incorporating classic rock influences into their sound. In “Holy Horses,” Temples showcases the full extent of their musical prowess with an essential indie rock hit. 

“Landslide” Avid Dancer, feat. POP ETC.

This single is certainly noteworthy, as collaborations between groups is significantly less pronounced in the indie rock community compared to pop and hip-hop. However, “Landslide” sees the two up-and-coming bands Avid Dancer and POP ETC. join forces. The song itself is perhaps somewhat unremarkable within the indie rock canon, but “Landslide” nonetheless is a solid offering, especially as the prime window for new releases closes as we move from summer into fall.