Spice up your finals season with some artistic holiday fun

nutcracker

Whether you just need a study break or an excuse to enjoy the holiday spirit, take a look at some of the festive cultural events coming to Nashville this December.

A Christmas Story and The Nutcracker
The Tennessee Performing Arts Center presents two classic holiday shows to start your winter on a jolly note. Nashville Repertory Theatre will put on a staged adaptation of the beloved film A Christmas Story through Dec. 22. In addition, the Nashville Ballet’s annual production of The Nutcracker will run from Dec. 1 to Dec. 23. Student rush tickets are available for both shows.

Home Alone in Concert
The Nashville Symphony continues its series of movies in concert with the 1990 holiday hit Home Alone on Dec. 5 and 6. Come warm up with the city’s esteemed orchestra as they are joined by the Nashville Symphony Chorus in performing John Williams’ score along with the movie. Find more information here.  

Dickens of a Christmas
This unique Franklin tradition is well worth the quick trip out of Nashville. The 34th annual Dickens of a Christmas event will include performances and characters from Charles Dickens’ novels throughout the town square and streets. Food vendors and horse-drawn carriage rides will be available as well. This historically inspired event will take place on Dec. 8 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Dec. 9 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Tuba Christmas Nashville
Come hear an ensemble of 100+ tubas as they play classic Christmas carols at the First Baptist Church. Performers from across the city come together in this bass-heavy group with a variety of backgrounds and experience. This event is free of charge.

Vince Gill and Amy Grant
This duo’s sold-out Christmas show returns to the Ryman Auditorium for an extended holiday stay. These Grammy-winning, married musicians are revered for their songs in the Christmas canon, such as Grant’s “Tennessee Christmas.” Celebrate this winter season the Nashville way with their long-awaited concert series.

Other upcoming concerts:
Childish Gambino: Dec. 2 at Bridgestone Arena
Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis: Dec. 7 at Schermerhorn Symphony Center
Tim Rushlow & His Big Band Classic Christmas: Dec. 6-15 at Rudy’s Jazz Room
Moon Taxi: Dec. 31 at Nashville Municipal Auditorium

Cover photo depicts VUPointe’s performance of The Nutcracker.