Vanderbilt Soccer ranked 25th in United Soccer Coaches poll ahead of Georgia clash

Photo+by+Brent+Szklaruk+
Photo by Brent Szklaruk

After claiming first place in the Southeastern Conference on Sunday, the Vanderbilt Women’s Soccer team was ranked 25th in this week’s United Soccer Coaches poll.

According to Vanderbilt Athletics records, this is the first time that the Commodores have been ranked by the United Soccer Coaches poll since the team was ranked 22nd in the 2006 preseason poll.

The Commodores received 86 votes this week after toppling Alabama with a thrilling 3-2 win and knocked off Missouri on the road on Sunday for the team’s 10th-straight victory. Vanderbilt had received 11 votes in last week’s poll.

They are one of three SEC teams to be ranked in the poll this week. Tennessee leads the conference as the 12th-ranked team and South Carolina is nearby in 14th.

Led by forwards Haley Hopkins and Kaylann Boyd, the Commodores have outscored opponents 25-6, and the pair of forwards are some of the SEC’s top scorers. Vanderbilt has started SEC play with three one-goal wins over Florida, Alabama and Missouri.

This week, Vanderbilt is one win away from matching a program record of 11 consecutive wins set in 2005. The team takes on Georgia on Sunday at 4 PM at the Vanderbilt Soccer Complex. Vanderbilt is encouraging fans to come out to the game and break the school record for soccer attendance of 1,092 fans set in 2012.

If you can’t make it to the game, it will be broadcast live on ESPNU and VandyRadio.