Tips to make your living space fall friendly

Source: Kyler Russell

Although you might not have realized that the turnover from summer to fall has come and gone, the time for Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Halloween costumes has arrived. Yes, you’re probably still sweating through your shirt on the way from your class on Commons to your class in Wilson, but that doesn’t mean you can’t pretend autumn has taken full force. Here are some fun ways you can bring fall into your dorm or apartment, even if Nashville seems to be an eternal 90 degrees.

1. Be scent-sational

Unfortunately, lighting candles in dorms is against Vanderbilt policy, but that doesn’t mean you have to surrender your hopes of having your dorm smell like Great Pumpkin. Many brands sell scented room sprays and wall plug-ins. A few of this year’s fall scents include Bath & Body Works Marshmallow Fireside, Farmstand Apple, Cider Lane, Leaves and Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin.

1. Cold hands, warm heart

Another violation of Vanderbilt’s policy is any kind of space heater. As temperatures begin to drop, an electric blanket is a fantastic alternative. Amazon has several options ranging from $30-$50. The Sunbeam Fleece Heated Throw is a great option for only $34.99 and is available with Amazon Prime shipping.

1. The purge

Who says spring is the only season for cleaning? Make a fresh start for the new season and prepare your dorm for mid-semester madness by doing a serious overhaul this weekend. Take out that overflowing trash, wash the sheets that have been on your bed since move-in and clear the clutter from your desk. A thorough clear-out will set you up to be productive.

4. Whistle while you work

While studying, turn on this wacky playlist that brings together eclectic jams with fun Halloween classics. (P.S. Dance breaks are mandatory when “Thriller” and “This Is Halloween” come on).

https://open.spotify.com/user/lgalaif/playlist/75uBm3qZK2AC3hkqF15jhk

1. Tricks and treats

An easy to way spread autumn cheer amongst your friends is to make a sweet spiced treat to share. You can make toasted pumpkin seeds in your dorm by spreading the seeds in a single layer on a microwave safe plate. Sprinkle melted butter, cinnamon, sugar and pumpkin pie spice over the top. Then microwave in one minute increments, stirring in between until the seeds are golden-brown.

1. “Boo” your friends

Anonymously drop a small bag of tricks and treats at your hallmate’s door with a tag informing them that they’ve been “boo’d.” They’ll attach the sign to their door and “boo” someone else to pass on the fall spirit.