IN PHOTOS: Anchor Dash 2019

Check out our photo coverage of this year’s Anchor Dash

September 1, 2019

The newest Commodores participated in the annual “Anchor Dash” tradition on Saturday, Aug. 31. Each year, Vanderbilt commemorates the first football game of the season by having administration, VUceptors and the first-year students run across the field.

The event starts with a reception at the Rec Fieldhouse with food and activities. 

• Students celebrate Anchor Dash before the first game of the season at the Rec Fieldhouse on Saturday, Aug. 31. (Photo by Truman McDaniel)

Truman McDaniel

Truman McDaniel

Truman McDaniel

Truman McDaniel

After leaving the Fieldhouse, everyone runs through McGugin and then onto the football field. 

“It was super cool to feel the energy of the freshman class as we sprinted across the field together,” first-year Jenna Phillips said. “It was a great way to get fired up before the game.”

• Anchor Dash 2019 kicks off the football game against Georgia on Saturday, Aug. 31. (Photo by Hunter Long)

• New students run across the football field for Anchor Dash 2019 on Saturday, Aug. 31. (Photo by Emily Gonçalves)

• Anchor Dash 2019 kicks off the football game against Georgia on Saturday, Aug. 31. (Photo by Mattigan Kelly)

Mattigan Kelly

• Anchor Dash 2019 kicks off the football game against Georgia on Saturday, Aug. 31. (Photo by Truman McDaniel)

Truman McDaniel

Truman McDaniel

• Mr. C rides to kick off Anchor Dash 2019 before the game against Georgia on Saturday, Aug. 31. (Photo by Emily Gonçalves)

“Anchor Dash is easily one of my favorite days of the year after Move-In Day,” VUceptor Michael Gonçalves said. “Getting to cheer on Vanderbilt’s newest Commodores as they rush the field is also such a rush for us on the sidelines as we get to see everyone’s smiling faces as they run onto the field and into the start of their first football season and academic year here.”

Anchor Dash 2019 kicks off the football game against Georgia on Saturday, Aug. 31. (Photo by Hunter Long)

One Response to “IN PHOTOS: Anchor Dash 2019”

1. Charles E Abbott II on September 3rd, 2019 4:45 pm

ny pictures of the band? My son is a freshman in the band and I don’t believe he was able to participate in the Anchor Dash. Also there was an SEC Nation broadcast that the band members participated in although I don’t know who to contact to fobtain a copy of it. Thank you for your time and any help. Both are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Charles Abbott
    Proud Vandy Dad