Vanderbilt students stay active on Alumni Lawn.
Emily Goncalves

Hack Your Workout: Nashville fitness studios that won’t break the bank

These Nashville workout studios offer student discounts that’ll help you stay fit before Thanksgiving.

The struggle of finding motivation to work out in college is too real– sluggishly dragging ourselves to the rec center to bike for 30 minutes, attempting some sit-ups and maybe picking up a dumbbell? Tragic. Unfortunately, since the Nashville workout scene is littered with overpriced cycling classes and pretentious yoga studios, it seems as though it’s our only option. However, if you’re a frugal college student like me looking to diversify your workout routine, might I remind you of a secret weapon: your student ID. These 6 local fitness classes offer a student discount or free first classes that will have you looking forward to your next workout. 

Vandy CHAARG hits the bike in a group Verticity class. (Photo courtesy Vanderbilt CHAARG)

Verticity (West)

2302 Elliston Place
(615) 431-1100 

A quick 10 minute walk from campus is the only thing keeping you from enjoying an indoor cycling class at Verticity. Enjoy a free first week of classes and test your abilities on the bike, and if you decide to come back, you can join a $15 drop-in class if you show your student ID. Considering that their standard drop-in price is a $22, it’s a great deal. Spin classes at Verticity are fast-paced and built around music playlists made by the instructors, making boring workouts a thing of the past.

Shakti hosts rooftop yoga at the L.A. Jackson hotel. (Photo courtesy Shakti Yoga)

Shakti Power Yoga

65 Music Square E.
(615) 942-8100 

For a true yogi experience and a good sweat, take advantage of Shakti’s $6 community classes offered several times a day. If you want to become a regular, present your student ID and get 30 days of unlimited classes for $30. This authentic yoga studio gives you the choice of a heated or unheated room (depending on how much sweat you’re looking for) and is conveniently located less than a mile away from campus. 

Full Ride

3 City Blvd., Suite 400
(615) 512-0222

Try out another cycling class at Full Ride. This chic spin studio offers a free first class and affordable drop-in classes for only $15, a price that’s hard to beat at other boutique studios in the Nashville area. Full Ride only offers a student discount for monthly packages, but since it’s located only a mile away from campus, it’d be easy to become a regular.  

A class held at CorePower Yoga, conveniently located in Green Hills. (Photo courtesy CorePower Yoga)

CorePower Yoga 

3990 Hillsboro Pike, Suite 220
(615) 654-6766

Not digging traditional yoga? CorePower might be your new favorite fitness class. Classes incorporate yoga poses with weights at varying cardio intensities to make your workout powerful and purposeful. Like Shakti, CorePower gives you the option of heated or unheated rooms for your workout. Located in Green Hills, CorePower makes up for its distance away from campus by offering a free first week of classes. 

9Round Fitness

2109 Abbott Martin Rd., Suite 4
(615) 610-2655

Also located in Green Hills, this kickboxing gym offers a full body workout and trainers that work around your busy class schedule. At 9Round, a 30-minute circuit training workout will have you at your peak level of fitness. If you’ve tried Title Boxing and still have lingering aggression to expend, 9Round offers a free class for first-timers, including all necessary supplies to get in a killer workout. 

The CHAARG girls get moving at Title Boxing, the perfect place to work off finals stress. (Photo courtesy Vandy CHAARG)

Title Boxing Club

1906 Church St.
(615) 942-5919

For those who are a little more ambitious and might need to relieve some stress, take it out on a punching bag at Title Boxing Club, only a mile away from campus. Although they don’t offer a student-specific discount, Title does offer a free first class. Can’t find your boxing gloves? No need to worry— Title’s got you covered with free gloves included in the first session. 

Emily Goncalves
Emily Goncalves, Former Multimedia Director