IN PHOTOS: Sabor Latino 2019

IN PHOTOS: Sabor Latino 2019

ALAS celebrates Latin culture at Sabor Latino

The Association of Latin American Students (ALAS) hosted its annual Sabor Latino event Oct. 7 in the Student Life Center. The event celebrated the close of Hispanic Heritage Month with various aspects of Latin culture, ranging from food to foot net. 

Throughout the night, ALAS had a slideshow playing with facts about famous people of Latin heritage, including Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor and soccer legend Pelé. The event also featured raffle prizes, a photo booth and a performance by VIDA, Vanderbilt’s premier Latin dance group.

“Being a new member of VIDA has been such a joy— everyone is so dedicated and talented, and rehearsals are something I look forward to every week,” senior Fernando Mendez said.

Attendees had the opportunity to receive a Sabor Latino t-shirt for a suggested donation to RAICES, an organization that works to provide legal services for immigrants.

“It was really cool to see so many friends come to Sabor Latino,” Mendez said. “Every year we have more and more people come and it makes me really happy to be able to share a part of Latino culture with them.”

VIDA performs at Sabor Latino on Monday, October 7 in the SLC. (Photo by Emily Gonçalves)