Vegan at Vandy: How to order vegan at the Grilled Cheeserie

Emily+Azzarito
Vegan at Vandy

This past Friday, I went to the Grilled Cheeserie in Hillsboro Village with my best friend, and favorite non-vegan, Sabina. As soon as she’d suggested it for dinner, I caught myself instinctively rolling my eyes. I don’t usually expect restaurants with the word “cheese” in their names to have the most awesome vegan options. After my eye-roll, however, I remembered back to lunchtime on Move-In Day when I ordered a vegan grilled cheese on sourdough with house-made garlic dill pickles after a friend told me I should try the place out. I also distinctly remembered thinking it was the yummiest thing ever.

Embarking on my second-ever Cheeserie experience, Sabina and I got ourselves in line to order. I felt so confident about what I wanted that I didn’t bother to look at a menu. I also figured it’d be the only thing on the menu I could order anyway. Behind me, a mom was holding a menu up to her face, and out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of the magic V-word under the “Milkshakes” section in big bold font. As Sabina can tell you, I almost had a heart attack I was so excited. I frantically reached across the woman behind me to grab a menu and inspect it myself. My eyes had not deceived me. Not only would I be able to order a cruelty-free grilled cheese sandwich, but I could also get their Vegan Coconut Milkshake, made with vegan ice cream and coconut milk.

When my milkshake arrived, I definitely cried a bit. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d ordered a milkshake at a restaurant. Luckily, all of my hype wasn’t for nothing. That thing was so delicious. It was super rich, not too sweet, and tasted like a frozen, creamy, toasty coconut macaroon. I definitely plan on going back there just for that shake. I even had Sabina try it to get her unbiased, non-vegan perspective. She can confirm it definitely didn’t taste like tofu or grass clippings.

I don’t even need to mention how amazing the grilled cheese was. If you’ve ever tried any vegan cheeses, you know that some can give off a rubbery or sometimes gritty vibe. That being said, the stuff they’re using at Grilled Cheeserie is gooey, stretchy and so freaking tasty. Even though the guy taking my ordered seemed super cool and approachable, I didn’t even need to ask him what I’d be able to order vegan because everything is clearly labeled on the menu with a little heart-shaped V. He made sure to tell me my sandwich would be grilled in oil instead of butter when I asked for it “vegan.” I could add plenty of yummy fixings like avocado and tomato, and get their famous tots on the side. Two of their soups for sandwich-dipping are vegan, too.

Whether you’re vegan or not, go see for yourself how easy it is to eat 100% plant-based at the Grilled Cheeserie. There’s nothing better than digging into some greasy, heartwarming American comfort food knowing you’re still doing your body and the environment a favor.

Morgan Alexis

I recently visited Nashville and all of my friends wanted to go to the Grilled Cheeserie. I was worried because I’m vegan so I know first hand how horrific vegan cheese usually is, but this review convinced me to try it anyways! I’m so glad I did because it was completely right! The vegan cheese sandwich (which I got plain — and they offered to grill in oil instead of butter) was AMAZING and I dipped it in the roasted red pepper soup and got some tots on the side too (just couldn’t help myself). Everything was great, if it hadn’t been for this review I probably wouldn’t have even tried it. Thanks!