Tiny Dorm Concerts: Colorado Straightedge with ‘Oceans’

Vandy’s own rock band Colorado Straightedge pump up the volume for our Tiny Dorm Concert series with their performance at the Vanderbilt Recording Studio.

First released in 2020, Colorado Straightedge’s single “Oceans” has garnered over 34,000 streams on Spotify so far. The song came from their inspiration boom related to COVID-19 lockdowns, during which members sent each other audio files back and forth. Their success leapfrogged from there, amassing streams and playing venues (once restrictions were lifted) that included Vanderbilt football games, fraternity parties and other school events. 

“We all met each other freshman year, we all lived in Stambaugh,” lead vocalist and junior John Abbott said. “Matt and Nick were actually roommates.” 

This long-term familial bond between the band, now all Vanderbilt juniors, is reflected in their easy-going attitude towards each other and their overall approach to music. The name of the band hailed from the idea of someone who is mostly “straightedge” but dabbles in counter-culture. 

“There’s a big punk subculture in Colorado,” guitarist and junior Pierce Bivens said. 

None of the members are majoring in music, but some have enrolled in music courses at Blair related to their goals for the band. “Ever since Pierce enrolled in that [African drumming] class, our stock has risen,” bassist and junior Matt Geleta said. 

The band’s releases reflect inspirations from across the music spectrum, from blues, to modern indie-pop, to smooth surf rock. Their most recent track is “Staying In,” released on April 8. The track romanticizes lazing around with one’s significant other, a fun and upbeat single that tracks with the band’s previous releases. Their goal as a band consists primarily of playing more gigs.

“Nissan Stadium would be cool,” Abbott said. 

Enjoy the band’s hit single “Oceans” for Hustler Life’s Tiny Dorm Concerts series, edited by the band’s own drummer Nick Sutton.