March 25 egging at Pi Kappa Alpha house found to be unrelated to Chabad’s Shabbat dinner hosted there that night

The egging was attributed to an altercation between a PIKE member and a third party.
Hallie Williams
Pi Kappa Alpha house, as photographed on Nov. 15, 2020. (Hustler Multimedia/Hallie Williams)

VUPD found the March 25 egging of Vanderbilt’s Sigma chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha (PIKE) International Fraternity’s house to be unrelated to the Shabbat dinner hosted by Chabad Vanderbilt at PIKE that same evening. 

Around 30 students attended the dinner, which lasted from approximately 7-11 p.m. CDT. Sophomore Ryan Bauman, PIKE external vice president and Chabad executive board member, said no eggshells were in sight around 9 p.m. CDT, but a dinner attendee noticed them at around 11:20 p.m. CDT. 

“The incident instead stemmed from an interpersonal conflict between a member of the chapter and a third party,” a university spokesperson said in a message to The Hustler.

Bauman shared his gratitude for the support PIKE received from VUPD and the Vanderbilt community while the incident was being investigated.

“We are extremely grateful for all the help and time VUPD spent on their investigation. We are also thankful for all the support received from students, faculty, administration, and others throughout the investigation,” Bauman said in a statement to The Hustler on behalf of the PIKE executive board. “We are fortunate to be a part of a university that responds to incidents like this with such care and thoroughness.”

Chabad President and senior Ester Teper echoed Bauman’s sentiments, adding that she hopes this incident will not deter students from engaging with cultural and religious communities on campus.

“We are glad this was taken seriously by the university, and investigated in a timely manner,” Teper said in a statement to The Hustler on behalf of the Chabad executive board. “While we are relieved that this was not an attack against the Jewish community, this is certainly a reminder of the fear Jews feel expressing their identities on campus.”