Home for the holidays: A Hustler holiday watchlist

Join Hallmark cliché businesswomen and Jim Carrey for a roundup of The Hustler’s favorite Christmas classics. Don’t forget to keep the cocoa hot!
christmas
Celebrate the holidays with your favorite fictional families on the big screen. (Hustler Multimedia/Emery Little)

Finals are over and Christmas is tomorrow, which means it’s time to hunker down and watch a cozy Christmas movie. From cheesy Hallmark stories of the big city girl in her small hometown, to the 25 days of Christmas series, there are so many to choose from—and as long as “Elf” makes it into your marathon, your holiday season will be a guaranteed success.

In the spirit of the season, the Hustler staff has shared some of their favorites to add to your watchlist. Grab some hot chocolate, cuddle up on the couch and get in the holiday spirit with these Hustler favorites!

“The Year Without a Santa Claus” (1974) (Alex Venero — Multimedia Director)

Two things: Heat Miser and Snow Miser. They make this movie ELITE and are just iconic. The older I get, the more I identify with them as characters. And their songs slap; no one can deny it. Christmas isn’t complete without those two.

This oldie but goodie is available to stream on Amazon Prime and YouTube.

“How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (2000) (Connor Campbell — Sports)

The 2000 version of the classic Grinch story does what modern film remakes (especially live-action adaptations of animated films) fail to do: take the story we know and love and give it a fun, new spin. This adaptation still conveys the themes of love and friendship we expect from the Dr. Seuss tale, but it adds a wacky, meta craziness that makes the film a must-watch. Jim Carrey, one of the most uniquely iconic actors of all time, gives yet another brilliant performance with his eight hours of makeup before each shoot. And, the film delivers many iconic lines and scenes that make the whole family laugh, right alongside the moments that make your heart grow three sizes each watch. Not to mention, it’s shot and edited beautifully. Add on a banger of a song in “Where Are You Christmas” and you have, in my opinion, the perfect holiday movie.

This live-action adaptation of Dr. Seuss’s classic book can be enjoyed on Hulu, Peacock and YouTube, and it frequently airs on Freeform’s “25 Days of Christmas.”

“Christmas with the Kranks” (2004) (Jorie Fawcett — Life) 

“Christmas with the Kranks” is one of the most underrated Christmas movies. Christmas queen Nora Krank battles with her Scrooge-esque husband who would rather take a tropical cruise than go through the stressful hustle and bustle of Christmas. I have always related to Nora, and I always don my festive Christmas vest on Christmas Eve because of her. There are a lot of lessons to be learned from the Kranks; no one can escape the love and spirit that Christmas brings. 

Are you team Christmas spirit or will you be joining Luther Krank on the tropical cruise? Decide for yourself by watching “Christmas with the Kranks” on YouTube or Google Play.  

“Klaus” (2019) (Andrew Kolondra Jr. — Life Editor)

“Klaus” is the Christmas origin story that we didn’t know we needed. It tells the tale of a lonely toymaker and a postman who unknowingly create a joyful holiday when they partner up to deliver gifts to their sad northern town buried in the snow. While the first half is a little slow, the film’s unexpectedly hard-hitting emotional arcs and traditional, hand-drawn animation style (crafted with help from Disney legend James Baxter) make it the perfect new addition to your Christmas movie marathon. Also, J.K. Simmons plays Klaus—instant like.

Deliver yourself some Christmas spirit with “Klaus,” streaming on Netflix.

“Home Alone” (1990) (Bailey McCallister — News) 

I grew up watching all of the “Home Alone” movies, and I especially love them because my dad’s name is Kevin McCallister (the main character’s name). It’s always funny when people ID my dad and make the connection!

Be like Kevin and stay home this holiday season. While you’re at it, you can find Home Alone on Disney+ and Freeform’s “25 Days of Christmas.”

“The Polar Express” (2004) (Ashley Monteiro — Life) 

I’ve always loved this movie, because the entire journey is about teaching kids the importance of including each other, being a leader and believing in the joys of Christmas. Also, the hot chocolate song is simply iconic. Never, ever, EVER let the hot chocolate cool.

Drink some HOT chocolate and watch Tom Hanks’ most iconic role on HBO Max or Apple TV

“Eyes Wide Shut” (1999) (Nathan Miao — News)

This is not your average Christmas movie, and it is NOT family-friendly. Stanley Kubrick’s final feature film depicts Tom Cruise as he stumbles upon a secret sex cult for New York’s elite after a Christmas party. It is a trip into the twisted mind of a man plagued by insecurity and jealousy of his wife, portrayed by Nicole Kidman.

Watch this non-traditional choice on HBO Max (maybe not while cuddled up on the couch). 

“A Christmas Story” (1983) (Phoebe Sklansky — Deputy Life Editor) 

I’m not exaggerating when I say that every moment in this movie is perfect. It’s so witty and clever, and the retrospective narrator is the cherry on top (or the angel on top of the tree?). My family constantly quotes this movie year-round, with our favorite quote being, “Fragile … must be Italian!” If you know, you know. 

Be sure to wear your bunny pajamas from Aunt Karen while watching “A Christmas Story” all day on Christmas on TBS. Bonus points if you visit the real life house in Cleveland over winter break.