Sammy Rae & The Friends to perform at Cannery Ballroom on Sept. 11

The alternative music group of eight are bringing their newest music to Nashville on Saturday, Sept. 11 at the Cannery Ballroom.

We did it, everyone. We survived nearly a year and half with no concerts or music events of any kind. But that pain is finally coming to an end: live music is BACK in Music City! No one could be happier about this return than us, the Life section—after all, live shows and events make up practically half our content. So get hyped, guys. This fall marks a long-awaited return to form: for you, for us and for live music everywhere.

Sammy Rae & The Friends will perform songs from their recent EP, “Let’s Throw a Party,” on their fall tour.

In the latest installment of our fall concert preview series, we’re turning our attention to Sammy Rae & The Friends, a New York-based music group. Currently on tour for their latest EP, “Let’s Throw a Party,” the group is traveling around the U.S. and will stop in Nashville on Sept. 11, at the Cannery Ballroom in the Gulch.

“Let’s Throw a Party” features five new songs—“Creo Lo Sientes,” ”Let’s Throw a Party,” “Whatever We Feel,” “Living Room Floor” and “Jackie Onassis,” with the latter three being the EP’s standout singles.

Although the group is generally categorized as alternative, their songs pay homage to the indie, R&B and soul genres. “Creo Lo Sientes” on the new EP has obvious jazz influences undercutting the upbeat, swing-style lyrics and “Jackie Onassis” takes the jazz influence and couples it with a funky, country-vibe lyricism. Each song on the EP offers refreshing and interesting vocals and tells a unique story.

The band is also fresh off the release of a new single, “Everybody Wants to Rule the World,” a reimagined cover of the Tear For Fears 1985 release. The band’s vocals, instrumentation and the versatility of their tracks provide enjoyment for every one of their fans, or as they call them, “friends.” If the recorded versions of the releases are anything to go by, Sammy Rae & The Friends’ live renditions promise to be an experience, and if you’re not already a “friend,” their Nashville show is sure to make you one. Listen to “Jackie Onassis” on YouTube and check out the full album on Spotify. Buy tickets to the show here.