Valley Maker to play the Basement Sept. 1

Folk/rock singer Valley Maker will perform his newest album, “When the Day Leaves,” in Nashville as part of his North American tour.

We did it, everyone. We survived nearly a year and half with no concerts or music events of any kind. But that pain is finally coming to an end: live music is BACK in Music City! No one could be happier about this return than us, the Life section—after all, live shows and events make up practically half our content. So get hyped, guys. This fall marks a long-awaited return to form: for you, for us and for live music everywhere.

Valley Maker will perform songs from his newest album “When the Day Leaves” on his fall tour.

Next in our fall concert preview series is Valley Maker, a folk/rock artist making a stop in Nashville on his North American tour for his Feb. 2021 album “When the Day Leaves.” Valley Maker, aka Austin Crane, is a self-proclaimed “ruminative songwriter,” and I couldn’t agree more.

The idea of doubt amidst hope is what shapes the messages Crane delivers with “When the Day Leaves.” For Crane, this anxiety arrived when he and his wife decided to move to the East Coast from Seattle to reunite with their family. However, with this move came feelings of uncertainty and the obstacle of having to make a major life decision.

Crane’s songs, which teeter on the genre border between folk and rock, are entirely introspective. The use of acoustic guitar throughout the album is the perfect pairing with his flowy and calming vocals. Although the vibe is generally light and airy, you can really connect to the deeper lyrical commentary Crane makes about our imperfect, yet beautiful world. Crane’s vocals are also complemented beautifully by the harmonies of Amy Godwin, who perfectly balances out his voice and adds an almost celestial aura to many of the tracks.

Some songs to check out on this album include “No One is Missing” and “Mockingbird.” “No One is Missing” tells a beautiful story of trying to overcome one’s self-doubt. In “Mockingbird,” on the other hand, Crane asks listeners deep questions about both his own life and their own, such as “How did I remain unknown?” Such philosophical questions leave listeners contemplating what it truly means to be a part of a community.

Check out the music video for “No One is Missing” on YouTube, or listen to the full album on Spotify. Buy tickets to his show here. Carriers to open.