BREAKING: Shooting on Main Campus at the Holiday Inn at Vanderbilt

This story was last updated at 9:50 a.m. CDT on May 11.
VUPD+cruiser
A Vanderbilt University Police Department cruiser. (Hustler Multimedia/Emily Gonçalves)

The Vanderbilt community was notified on May 10 that a shooting had occurred earlier that day at the Holiday Inn at Vanderbilt. 

The following AlertVU message was sent at approximately 2:30 p.m. CDT:

ALERT! A shooting has occurred at the Holiday Inn at Vanderbilt. Police are on the scene and investigating. Stay out of the area. Non-emergency updates will be posted to the website alertvu.vanderbilt.edu when they become available.”

Gena Shearon, human resources director at the Holiday Inn at Vanderbilt, said that there are no road closures or other changes to operations due to the shooting. She declined to otherwise comment about the incident and deferred her comments to the Metro Nashville Police Department (MNPD).

An MNPD officer with badge number 2256 said that shots were fired outside the Holiday Inn and no victims have been admitted to medical facilities yet. She also said that the suspect is still at large.

At approximately 3:15 p.m. CDT, another AlertVU notification was sent to the Vanderbilt community giving more information about the shooting:

UPDATE! The incident occurred at approximately 1:34 PM in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn. A silver Dodge Charger and a silver Buick have been identified in connection to this incident. Both vehicles were observed on video to have left the campus area. Police are continuing to investigate. There is no ongoing threat at this time. Resume normal activities.”

Per an email sent to The Hustler at 3:45 p.m. CDT by a university spokesperson, Vanderbilt University Public Safety (VUPS) is working with MNPD to investigate the incident. The representative also stated that VUPS will be heightening its presence on and off campus in response to the shooting.

VUPS is deploying additional patrols in the area and will continue its patrols of the campus and surrounding streets where students are living off campus, the email read.

The email also stated that the shooting did not involve anyone associated with Vanderbilt.

At approximately 10:00 p.m. CDT on May 10, WSMV Nashville reported that MNPD found money at the crime scene.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.