College Voices: DSG: Disconnected Student Government

Staff Writer Abhinav Krishnan sits down with members of VSG to discuss the fragmented relationship between its members and the student body it serves.

Vanderbilt Student Government (VSG) is responsible for policymaking on issues relevant to student life, yet a feeling of indifference about the organization pervades much of the student body. Among students, there is a perception that VSG fails to accomplish its goals, even though VSG members can clearly articulate their accomplishments with regard to legislation. 

A disconnect exists between students and the government that is supposed to represent them, leaving some feeling confused about the role of VSG in the first place. On this episode, Abhinav Krishnan speaks to students and VSG members alike about why this disconnect exists, and what can be done to remedy it. 

Further Reading:

Students react to developments in 2021 VSG presidential election”: The Vanderbilt Hustler asks students how they feel about events during the 2021 VSG presidential election campaign

VSG Senate unanimously passes two bills supporting fossil fuel divestment”: VSG’s senate passes several bills associated with social movements on campus

RICE: Vanderbilt needs a 24/7 gym”:  ex-Arts and Sciences senator Tim Rice argues for the Commons and Alumni Hall gyms to be open 24/7 

Music Copyright Information

This episode uses clips of Clouds and Docking produced by Bio Unit. All music was used under a creative commons license CC BY-NC 4.0 and can be found here. No modifications were made to the original material.

Abhinav Krishnan, Former Staff Writer and Data Staffer
Abhinav Krishnan ('23) majored in political science and economics. You can reach him at [email protected].