University sustains no damages amidst Nashville flash flooding and storms

Nashville totalled 7.01 inches of rain over the weekend, the second highest in Nashville history.
Anjali Chanda
The Nashville skyline. Picture taken on Nov. 6, 2020. (Hustler Multimedia/Anjali Chanda)

Campus and the greater Nashville area suffered severe rain and flash flood warnings as early as Thursday, March 26 that continued through the weekend. Ultimately, no damage to campus was sustained, per an email from Chancellor Diermeier.  

Diermeier’s email, sent to students at approximately 9:15 a.m. CDT on March 29 offering condolences to the university’s neighbors in Nashville and the surrounding areas who have been affected by the storms and flooding, announcing that the university did not suffer any damage.

“Our thoughts are with those of you, and our neighbors in Nashville and beyond, who have been affected by this weekend’s storms and flooding and with the loved ones of those who lost their lives. This is a tragic development amid an already incredibly challenging year,” the email reads.

First-year Sydney Braunstein’s class at Blair on Thursday, March 26 was cancelled. She said in an interview with the Hustler that the Blair teachers stated that they didn’t want their students walking in the storm and flood. 

On Friday, March 26, WKRN warned of severe levels of rain and wind throughout the following day. They predicted possibilities of heavy rain, hail, gusty winds and an isolated tornado in middle Tennessee.

Students who had signed up for a Fitness Center gym appointment received an email at 12:16 a.m. CDT on March 27, informing them of the severe weather warning. The email stated that they were allowed to keep their appointment, but to be aware that if a tornado warning occurred, they would be required to stop their workout and shelter in a secure location. Students, including Braunstein reported that the thunder had woken them up on Saturday morning. 

“I, along with most other people in my building, woke up around 5:45 a.m. that morning to thunder and lightning,” said Braunstein.

First-year student Diya Scharma said in an interview with the Hustler, “I wasn’t notified of any severe weather from the university. I was walking back to Towers with my friend when it started thundering and lightening. It was scary.”

At 6:06 p.m. CDT on March 29, CNN reported that the flooding killed at least six people in the Nashville area over the weekend and more than 100 had to be rescued from fast-rising waters.

The National Weather Service sent out an emergency alert to phone users at 11:51 p.m. CDT on Friday, March 27 stating that a flash flood warning was in effect until 3:15 a.m. CDT. People were again notified at 12:42 a.m. CDT of a flash flood warning until 4:30 a.m. CDT. The National Weather Service continued to monitor the weather and sent out another warning at 3:02 a.m. CDT and again at 6:35 a.m. CDT, concluding that the warning was in effect until 11:00 a.m. CDT on Saturday, March 28.

The Tennessean reported 5.75 inches of rainfall on March 27, and as the rain continued into the following day, the rainfall over the weekend totalled 7.01 inches. The two-day rainfall total is the second most in Nashville history, behind a record of 13.57 inches from May 1 – May 2 in 2010.

The National Weather Service continues to monitor the weather, with a flash flood watch in effect from 7:00 p.m. CDT on Tuesday, March 30 until 1:00 a.m. CDT on Thursday, April 1.