OHARE releases details and calendar for 2021-2022 housing assignment process, updates residential college application process

OHARE eliminated grade quotas in residence halls and announced a new housing option in The Village at Vanderbilt, among other email updates today.
A dorm room in Nicholas S. Zeppos residential college. Picture taken on Aug. 13, 2020. (Hustler Multimedia/Hunter Long)

A March 29 email from the Office of Housing and Residential Experience (OHARE) sent to all first-years, sophomores and juniors announced a “shorter and simpler”housing application process for the 2021-22 academic year.

The housing assignment process will begin on April 1 and run into June, with a two week hiatus from May 1 to 15 during finals and commencement. OHARE recommends that all students review the Guide to the Housing Process in its entirety.

Apartment style housing applications and selections will take place from May 16 to May 27. Single room applications open on June 1, with results being announced on June 4. Double room applications open the following week on June 8, with results being announced on June 11. The housing waitlist opens on June 16 and closes on June 30.        

Per the email, the housing selection is a random lottery with priority given to applicants based on seniority with the exceptions of Living Learning Communities (LLCs), Mayfield, McGill and McTyeire, which are application-based. For these LLCs, students must apply and will be selected based on different criteria for each community.

The email also announced changes to the assignment process for residential colleges. For only the 2021-22 academic year, the one-third-each allocation for second-year, third-year and fourth-year students will be suspended. 

“In place of the allocations, available spaces in the residential colleges will be included in the general lotteries for apartments/suites, singles, and doubles and students will compete for those spaces on the basis of seniority,” the email reads. “The purpose of the change is to provide improved opportunities for rising 4th-year students to experience a residential college.”

Eligible returning residential college students who complete the Returning Resident Process are also guaranteed a place within their current residential college. The one-third-each class cohorts allocation will be reinstated for the 2022-23 academic year and beyond. 

Branscomb Quadrangle—Lupton, Stapleton, Scales and Vaughn—will again house upper division students at designed capacity. Chaffin Apartments, The Village at Vanderbilt Townhouses and the Village at Vanderbilt South Tower apartments will also be options for housing upper division students in the upcoming semester. The remaining Carmichael Towers will be demolished during Summer 2021. 

Chaffin Place, the Village at Vanderbilt South Tower, Blakemore House and the Scarritt Bennett Center are all currently being used for isolation and quarantine. For the 2021-22 academic year, Blakemore House will continue to serve as quarantine and isolation housing to stay responsive to the COVID-19 pandemic.