Vanderbilt to permit a ‘limited’ number of fans to lacrosse and soccer games

Starting March 21, Vanderbilt will permit a limited number of fans to attend lacrosse and soccer games.

Vanderbilt soccer in its 2020 regular season finale against Ole Miss. (Hustler Multimedia/Truman McDaniel)

Simon Gibbs, Sports Editor

Vanderbilt on Monday announced in a press release that it will allow a limited number of fans—including students—to attend upcoming lacrosse and soccer games at the Vanderbilt lacrosse/soccer complex, starting with the upcoming soccer match against Lipscomb on March 21.

Vanderbilt soccer played its fall season without attendance at home games, and both teams have played the beginning of their spring seasons without spectators at home games.

The press release notes that tickets for both teams are free of charge. Lacrosse tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis, while soccer tickets will be distributed through Survey Monkey links.

In addition, the university says it will continue to allow parents and families of student-athletes to attend home games, while also distributing a limited number of student tickets for the games. The Dean of Students office sent an email to the student body on Tuesday, March 9 detailing how to claim tickets for both sports.

“Vanderbilt will continue to evaluate the opportunity to welcome additional fans as soon as possible based on the evolving conditions of the COVID-19 pandemic,” the press release says.