COVID-19 testing app ‘Safer Community’ now available

Command Center Testing Team announces adoption of app that will expedite testing process.
Kirkland Hall through a fall tree, photographed on October 12, 2020. (Hustler Multimedia/Emery Little)

The Command Center Testing Team announced that the Safer Community mobile app is available to the Vanderbilt community in a Feb. 3 email sent to students.

Students, faculty, post docs and staff participating in the asymptomatic testing program will be able to use the Safer Community app to “expedite” the check-in process when they get tested and view their results, per the email.

“While the app is not required, we recommend using it for a quicker check-in process and so you can see your test results over time,” the email reads. 

After registering for the app with their Vanderbilt email addresses, users will be able to access a personalized QR code, or Status Card, to check in at the testing center. The QR code will be scanned and matched with the sample vial, per the email, allowing users to receive their results via the app and email. If users turn on the app’s push notifications, they will be alerted when their test results are ready.  

The Safer Community app—developed by Rokmetro using the University of Illinois’s open source platform, Rokwire— is being used by other universities, including the University of Nebraska in Lincoln and the University of Maine system. The University of Wisconsin in Madison is also using a Rokmetro app, Safer Badgers.  

While the app has features that allow users to schedule tests and check their campus access status, Vanderbilt will not be using these capabilities at this time, according to the Return to Campus page.