Scotty Pippen Jr plays against South Carolina in Vanderbilts Victory against South Carolina on Saturday, January 30, 2021 (Hustler Multimedia//Hunter Long)
Scotty Pippen Jr plays against South Carolina in Vanderbilt’s Victory against South Carolina on Saturday, January 30, 2021 (Hustler Multimedia//Hunter Long)

IN PHOTOS: Students return to sports victories and new campus dining options

Students returned to campus in anticipation for the first day of class on Jan. 25.

SPORTS VICTORIES

Women’s Tennis continues their early season dominance with a 5-2 win over Miami

Anna Ross plays against Miami on Saturday, Jan. 30. (Hustler Multimedia/Hunter Long) (Hunter Long)

Vanderbilt Women’s Tennis continues to dominate after last week’s victory over Memphis with their 5-2 victory over Miami at home Jan. 30. The Dores are looking strong in the early part of the season.

Following their Jan. 30 match against the University of Miami, the Commodores will host three-straight nearby opponents: Lipscomb, East Tennessee State and Louisville.

Men’s Basketball gets their first SEC win of the season against South Carolina.

Scotty Pippen Jr. plays against South Carolina in Vanderbilt’s Victory against South Carolina on Saturday, January 30, 2021 (Hustler Multimedia/Hunter Long) (Hunter Long)

Vanderbilt cruised past South Carolina in a one-sided affair Saturday, earning its first SEC victory of the 2020-21 season. Finishing at 93-81 the Commodores were up by as much as 20 in the second half, dominating South Carolina on both sides of the court.

Vanderbilt’s next game is Feb. 3, when they battle Texas A&M on the road.

Men’s Baseball Starts Practice

Baseball starts practice on Friday, Jan. 29. (Hustler Multimedia/Truman McDaniel) (Truman McDaniel)

Vanderbilt baseball kicked off its 2021 season on Friday, as the student-athletes took to Hawkins Field for their first official day of training.

The VandyBoys will host Wright State for a three-game, non-conference series for their Feb. 19 season opener.

Men’s Tennis Opens with a Victory against Belmont

Men’s Tennis defeats Belmont on Jan. 31. (Hustler Multimedia/Truman McDaniel) (Truman McDaniel)

The Men’s Tennis team took on Belmont on Jan. 31, starting off the season with a 6-1 victory.

The ‘Dores will take on Rice University on Feb. 7 at 11 a.m. CST for their next match-up.

NEW DINING ACROSS CAMPUS

Two dining workers smile while working Jan. 29. (Hustler Multimedia/Hunter Long) (Hunter Long)

As students returned to campus for the spring semester, dining unveiled some new menu options like Bao!, Smokehouse, Crafted Flatbreads and Toasted.

Old favorites like the Randwich also made a return to Campus Dining.

RETURNING TO THE UNIVERSITY

Commons as First-Years return to campus and switch residence halls in what is know as “the flip” on Jan. 28. (Hustler Multimedia/Hallie Williams) (Hallie Williams)

First-year students living in Carmichael Towers and Branscomb will have the opportunity to live on Commons this semester. The administration arranged for a “flip” over break, moving students into a new room on the other side of campus in the hopes of giving every first-year the Commons experience.

Students took two arrival tests, one before and one during the first week of classes. Over the course of the semester, students will be tested twice a week.