Vanderbilt women’s basketball postpones first three SEC games due to COVID-19

Vanderbilt women’s basketball was forced to postpone its first three SEC games of the season due to COVID-19.
The Vanderbilt Women’s Basketball team play the Lady Vols on Sunday, February 4, 2018 in Memorial Gym. (Hustler Multimedia/Claire Barnett)

Vanderbilt women’s basketball is pausing all basketball-related activities and postponing three games due to a “combination of positive tests, contact tracing and subsequent quarantining of individuals,” according to a university press release.

In accordance with Southeastern Conference (SEC) COVID-19 protocols, the program will shut down for two weeks, requiring it to postpone its first three SEC games of the season against Florida on Dec. 31, at Mississippi State on Jan. 3 and at Missouri on Jan. 7. The conference has not yet stated when these contests will be made up.

The Commodores are now set to begin SEC play on Jan. 10 against Alabama.

The release came a day after Vanderbilt postponed its final nonconference game of the season, a Dec. 28 home contest against Samford, due to “circumstances surrounding COVID-19.”

Vanderbilt (4-1) has played just five games to-date, as it was forced to postpone four of its nine nonconference games due to COVID-19.