LANGFORD: Halloween’s not dead… if you’re ready to embrace being a loser

A socially-distanced Halloween is not what anyone had planned, but it could be fun if we’re willing to try.
We must embrace our now-lame social lives this Halloween. (Hustler Communications/Emery Little)

Seeing as how I have nothing to live for these days, I’ve been looking forward to Halloween since the minute I stepped foot on campus. “Why?” my friends have asked with bewilderment. I’m certainly not attending a party amidst a pandemic, so it seems there’s no point in celebrating Halloween as a college student. What’s there to look forward to? Am I just going to sit in my room wearing a costume while sniffing a pumpkin candle?

Well, maybe.

We all once had robust social lives, and it’s safe to say those days are over. Our schedules are now filled with watching lectures, watching other lectures and watching more lectures. My biggest excitement is getting to try a new Mexican restaurant every weekend and comparing their tacos. While it sounds like there is a lot of self-pity involved in this new social landscape, I think we need to accept and learn to enjoy the socially distant environment we’re living in.

In 2020, we’re all losers in our parents’ basements. Instead of fighting it, let’s embrace it. After all, there’s not much of an alternative. Right now, the only ethical course of action is to do our part and stay indoors while the pandemic rears its head outside. While this sounds like the deterioration of our social lives, a positive outlook can actually prevent this. Granted, this is easier said than done.

Although, if we all realize that no one else has a crowded schedule of social events and the most exciting thing they’ve done in the past month is probably a movie night with one other person, this greatly reduces the feeling of being left out. Without any “FOMO,” there’s no reason to feel pathetic for having a night in. Sure, people will go to Halloween parties. It’s inevitable. However, do you really want to be at a party during a global pandemic? Personally, one night in a sweaty basement listening to EDM music while wearing a dumb costume isn’t enough to justify life-long pulmonary consequences.

Don’t get me wrong. I’ll definitely be wearing a dumb costume.

I’ll just be partaking in the autumnal festivities safely, from a distance. After all, there are plenty of ways to enjoy Halloween without violating any social distancing guidelines.

A pandemic staple, Netflix Party is a Google Chrome extension that allows you and your friends to watch a movie together in real time. The chat feature allows your group to communicate with each other, despite being physically apart. Scary movies are an October hallmark and a great way to get into the spooky mood without even having to leave your bed or change out of pajamas.

If you’re wanting a little more face-to-face interaction on Halloween, you could easily organize a Zoom gathering. Although this idea may seem a little dorky, with a little creativity, there’s potential for a raucous time. Throw a virtual costume party, and show off your look. Carve a jack-o-lantern while trying not to slice off your thumb, and surprise your friends with the final product. The holiday is open to interpretation, so get inventive.

Even if you’re spending Halloween night by yourself, there are plenty of things you can do to break up the monotony and indulge in the Halloween spirit. Buy a pumpkin at the grocery store for your room or just a bag of your favorite candy. Don’t be afraid to spend some time alone, and clear your head. Use Halloween as an opportunity to relax while downing M&Ms by the handful. 

I recognize this is a disappointing turn of events. We’d all much rather be headed off to fun Halloween parties decked out in our finest attire. A socially distant night is not the occasion any of us had planned, but if we embrace the comedy of what our lives have become, there’s potential for enjoyment. 

Even if you’re just eating candy in your room by yourself.