LANGFORD: Don’t vote for Trump just because you’re a Republican

Stop conflating Trumpian ideology with conservative politics and recognize that radical right-wing agendas may not align with your beliefs.
In Tennesee early voting ends Thursday, Oct. 29, and Election Day is Nov. 3. (Hustler Multimedia/Claire Barnett)

We’re almost there. Election day looms near, and the country waits with bated breath to see which septuagenarian will be ascending to the highest office. In this partisan age of politics, firm lines have been drawn, but, interestingly, Democrats are willing to criticize and cast doubt on their candidate, as evidenced by the popular Settle for Biden social media movement.

By contrast, Republicans are ominously quiet in their criticism of the most polarizing political figure in American history. It would seem as though, by virtue of having conservative beliefs, Americans are willing to throw Donald Trump their support. It would seem as though everyday people are following the lead of Republican politicians who don’t dare speak out against their almighty mascot. 

Only now, when defeat looks imminent two weeks out from election day, are Republican politicians beginning to distance themselves from the president. While a few members of Congress are finally awakening from their stupors of unwavering loyalty, the GOP still only presents its current members with two choices: support our president or leave the cult of personality.

Let’s be clear. Donald Trump is a radical candidate. He is not what’s best for the Republican party. In fact, his reign may spell the end of conservative politics as we know it.

Trumpian ideology is centered around just that: Trump. His presidency has been characterized by his personal beliefs and “take-no-prisoners” attitude. His shocking rhetoric and performative stunts paved the way for his election but radically juxtapose with the GOP of years past, a party anchored by principles, ideas and facts

This is no longer the reputation of the Republican Party. Donald Trump has ensured that conservative politics are defined by blatant discrimination, unsubstantiated opinions and an ongoing war with the left. As a result, anti-Trump groups are, in fact, beginning to emerge from the right, though their voices are substantially drowned out by the members of Trump’s verbose fan club.

However, veering farther and farther to the right to meet Trump’s current policies is not a sustainable political strategy. In 2016, only 28 percent of voters between the age of 18 and 29 voted for Trump. Republicans are being “cancelled” by young people because of the discriminatory cloud that looms over them. The pendulum will inevitably swing, and the dwindling, aging demographic of the far-right will be unable to elect candidates.

If you truly want to save the Republican Party, don’t vote for Trump.

Don’t just abstain from voting, either. Cast a ballot for Joe Biden. Naturally, this put a shiver down many people’s spines. How could a Democrat serve the best interests of the GOP?

Though most Republicans don’t realize it, even though Joe Biden campaigns underneath the banner of the DNC, he is a decently moderate candidate. Granted, Uncle Joe’s platform is undoubtedly leftist. Many of his stances on issues such as immigration, health care, taxes and so on don’t complement primary conservative ideals. However, enduring a Democrat term in the White House is a small price to pay to rein in the GOP. 

Voting Joe Biden into office would be an extraordinary leap toward depolarizing American politics. This effect would produce a more centrist Republican candidate in 2024, reminiscent of the GOP of previous years. Which is worse? Giving the Democrats a turn in office or allowing far-right agendas to further taint the image of the Republican party and its future candidates.

Don’t just vote for Trump because you’re conservative. If you support white supremacy, distrust in science, sexism, homophobia and so much more, then vote the Trump administration back into office and let the Republican Party become synonymous with this ideology. However, if these things aren’t what you want to characterize the future of the country, then you might just be Joe Biden’s newest supporter.

Will Langford, Former Editorial Director
Will Langford (‘22) is majoring in Economics with minors in Philosophy and Business. He loves talking about his home state of Texas and all things politics or ethics. Besides writing, he enjoys running, telling sarcastic jokes and watching reality TV.