Sarratt Cinema to host Chadwick Boseman movie marathon

To honor the late actor Chadwick Boseman, the Ingram Commons announced they’d be offering screenings of his movies free of charge over the course of the next few weeks.
%28Jeffrey+Mayer%2FWireImage%29
WireImage
(Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage)

As Vanderbilt enters its fifth week with limited coronavirus case numbers, new and exciting community building events are being offered to students on campus. The Ingram Commons announced today that they will be hosting a Chadwick Boseman movie marathon beginning this Friday, Sept. 25, at the Sarratt Theatre at 7 p.m.

Students will be required to wear their masks the entire screening as well as pre-reserve seats in the theatre. To make up for a lack of movie snacks, a snack goodie bag will be offered to take home at the end of the film.

Boseman has played a variety of roles that will be featured in the marathon. The movie schedule will follow him as he portrays baseball’s greatest Jackie Robinson in “42” Sept. 25, blues legend James Brown in “Get On Up” Oct. 9, historic lawyer Thurgood Marshall in “Marshall” Oct. 23 and the iconic T’Challa in “Black Panther” Nov. 6.

Following the passing of Chadwick Boseman Aug. 28, the choice in commemorating his work by immersing student viewers acts as a respectful and appropriate tribute. In weeks since his passing, fans across the US have honored and paid tribute to Boseman. Some flocked to a candlelight vigil in Los Angeles, others paid their respects at the “Black Panther Marvel exhibit in Dearborn, Michigan and still more attended events in his hometown Anderson, South Carolina. At the Emmy Awards, producers recognized Boseman along with other notable figures who have passed this year. From children carrying “Black Panther” dolls to adults in front of their television screens, the wake of Boseman’s death was felt by those of all ages. 

Throughout his career, Boseman artfully and powerfully portrayed the lives of both fictional and nonfictional black figures through those films. Many revered Boseman for using his acting as an advocate for people of color and for uplifting minority voices. An inspiration to many, these screenings provide an avenue for Vanderbilt to honor not only Boseman’s legacy but celebrate the black community he sought to uplift. 

“The choice in choosing Chadwick Boseman as the focus for the marathon allows us to honor him and the emotional connection so many people had to him,” first-year Bridget Hall said. 

Hall said she hopes the event will set a precedent for additional activities in the future. Students can RSVP on Anchor Link to keep up-to-date with future showings.