Symptom Assessment tool glitches, Vanderbilt helpline says problem is resolved

Vanderbilt back to school helpline said weekly COVID-19 test results are delayed due to the Labor Day holiday.

Alex Venero

Vanderbilt has several walking paths that wind throughout the campus. (Hustler Multimedia/Alex Venero)

Immanual John Milton and Avery Muir

Several students received messages from the Symptom Assessment reporting service within the VandySafe app that told them to stay at home. This message appeared after several students had completed the symptom assessment for the day.

VandySafe Reporting Tool’s message tells students to stay home. (Hustler Staff)

“You are NOT approved to be on campus without additional screening. Refer to your email or text message for further instructions. If your symptoms are severe or you have a medical emergency, call 911,” the app said.

Students who received negative test results following their Vault test this week also received this message after completing the symptom assessment.

The Hustler emailed [email protected], a helpline dedicated to resolving technical issues with the app. The email helpline told The Hustler that the message was a glitch and “the problem was fixed.” Students who still have a ‘stay home’ message by 11:00 p.m. CDT today should email the helpline, according to the helpline.

The helpline also disclosed that some of Vault’s COVID-19 test results “are taking a little longer this week with the Labor Day holiday.”

Per the Office of the University Registrar’s initial email to students mandating weekly testing,  “students will be notified of their test results via email, typically with [sic] 48 hours.”

The university has not responded to an immediate request for comment.

Jessica Barker and Emma Mattson contributed reporting to this article.

This article will be updated as The Hustler receives more information.