Saying goodbye to our seniors

The Hustler staff curated a highlight reel of farewells to our seniors to celebrate the accomplishments and relationships they’ve built through Vanderbilt student media throughout their time on campus.
Rachel Friedman
The Hustler editorial board at Hustler Thanksgiving.

Time to celebrate our seniors: their friendships, achievements and their last year at Vanderbilt. This is one final virtual hurrah to our senior editorial board members Eva Durchholz, Emily Gonçalves and Max Schneider before they take their talents elsewhere and embark on adventures that are (dare we say) grander than The Vanderbilt Hustler.

Eva Durchholz, News Editor

The centerpieces of Eva’s portfolio are hard-hitting investigative pieces. From explaining Vanderbilt’s collection and use of data on prospective students to highlighting some of Vanderbilt’s little-known investments, Eva has covered some of the most important issues for the Vanderbilt community. Eva has also been heading The Hustler’s coverage of Vanderbilt’s response to COVID-19. She helped break the news of the first known case in the Vanderbilt community, explain the university’s refund policies and break down Vanderbilt’s distribution of federal funds to students.

Eva has been on Hustler since her sophomore year. She will be graduating with degrees in Public Policy and Medicine, Health and Society.

Video includes messages from: Copy Editor Emma Mattson, Deputy News Editor Immanual John Milton, Deputy News Editor Jessica Barker, Editor in Chief Rachel Friedman

Emily Gonçalves, Multimedia Director

Emily’s time on Hustler is marked by photo contributions to all sections. Some of Emily’s most impressive contributions include her coverage of a diverse array of community and cultural events as well as Vanderbilt athletics. Emily has also been a primary contributor of in-depth photo stories. Among the most notable include her extended feature on this year’s MLK Day of Service and a feature on fashion designer Manuel.

Emily has been on Hustler all four years of college. She will graduate with degrees in Mathematics and Economics and a minor in Latin American Studies.

Video includes messages from: Voices Editor Rachel Wei, Opinion Editor Miquéla Thornton, Deputy Multimedia Director Mattigan Kelly, Deputy Multimedia Director Hunter Long, Editor in Chief Rachel Friedman

Max Schneider, Sports Editor

Max’s coverage of Vanderbilt sports includes game stories, editorials, player profiles and more. Over the last couple months, Max has produced content ranging from iconic Commodore Brunch columns about football games to a compilation of the baseball team’s walk-up songs. Especially important for Hustler has been Max’s coverage of breaking news, including the former Athletic Director Malcolm Turner’s affirmation of head football coach Derek Mason’s job and men’s basketball player Aaron Nesmith’s injury.

Max has been on Hustler since his first year at Vanderbilt. He will be graduating with degrees in Communication and Political Science.

Video includes messages from: Deputy Sports Editor Simon Gibbs, Deputy Sports Editor Justin Hershey, Deputy Sports Editor Alyssa Muir, Editor in Chief Rachel Friedman