Student traveling with junior Max Schulman tests positive for coronavirus

The student went to Barcelona with Schulman over spring break, then tested positive Saturday at home in Pennsylvania.
Vanderbilt’s student center.

Another Vanderbilt student tested positive for coronavirus today in Scranton, PA.

The student traveled to Barcelona with Max Schulman, a Vanderbilt junior who tested positive for COVID-19 last week, over spring break. After returning to campus Sunday, March 9 and Schulman informed them that he wasn’t feeling well and was getting tested, the student avoided contact with other students, only leaving their room to go through Kissam lobby and an off-campus dining location. 

The next day, after Schulman informed the students he traveled with that he had been told he tested negative for COVID-19 around noon, the student went through the Kissam lobby and to Rand for lunch.

Forty-five minutes following Schulman’s negative test for COVID-19, Schulman informed the eight friends he was traveling with that the hospital informed him that his test was actually positive. After informing Vanderbilt around 1:30 p.m., the student drove home to Pennsylvania to self-quarantine.

The student was able to get tested, despite having no symptoms, with the help of a family friend. On Friday, the student’s doctor reported that the lab tests were negative, according to the student. The student did not leave quarantine, however, because of the direct contact with Schulman who had tested positive for the virus. On Saturday, the student heard from his doctor that the test actually came back positive. The student emailed Deputy Dean of Students G.L. Black after hearing about the positive test.

“I think it’s pretty ridiculous that people can’t get tested. I have coronavirus now, and I never would’ve known unless I got tested,” the student said.

According to the student, none of the other students traveling with Schulman have symptoms or have gotten tested for COVID-19. The students are also in quarantine.

Earlier today, The Hustler reported that a Vanderbilt student living off-campus tested positive for COVID-19 after attending social events with other students. Last week, the first Vanderbilt student tested positive for coronavirus in Chicago after returning from Florence, Italy studying abroad.

Those who believe they may have been exposed to or infected with the novel coronavirus should seek medical care right away. Before you go to a clinic, doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms. Vanderbilt students should contact the Student Health Center, while faculty and staff should contact the Occupational Health Clinic for further evaluation.

Rachel Friedman
Rachel Friedman, Former Editor in Chief
Rachel Friedman was a student in the College of Arts & Science who studied history and mathematics. Before serving as Editor in Chief, Rachel was the Campus Editor of The Hustler. You can reach her at [email protected].