VH New Music Fridays: Spring Break Playlist

The Hustler Life staff curated your go-to playlist for spring break, reviewing some old favorites along with new releases.

In VH New Music Fridays, the Life staff covers this week’s new music releases, from pop to country to alternative. This time around, we’ve made a playlist that’s perfect no matter what your plans are over spring break.

Shimmy,” Aminé

Since seeing Aminé at Governor’s Ball in New York, I have been a self-proclaimed fangirl of his music. The rapper definitely did not drop the bar with his newest release, “Shimmy,” which has a little bit of a more traditional rap vibe than his older albums. “Shimmy Shimmy Ya,” Old Dirty Bastard’s 1995 hit, is sampled throughout the song, giving it a super authentic, vintage feel. With that being said, he upgrades the single with his signature charisma and lyricism, making it the perfect road trip bop this upcoming break. 

Baby Girl,” Bryce Vine

Spring break just isn’t the time for emo tracks with hard-hitting lyrics that induce midlife crises in the middle of the day. Sometimes, you just want a song that’s easy and fun, and that’s just what Bryce Vine delivers in his newest single “Baby Girl.” His past releases, like “Drew Barrymore,” highlighted his unique alternative/pop vibe, and he carries that into this single about a girl who has embraced the party lifestyle. Vine translates those good vibes to his audience effortlessly, and if that doesn’t make a good spring break track, I don’t know what does. 

Heatin Up (feat. Gunna),” Lil Baby

It’s the release we’ve all been waiting for… Lil Baby’s sophomore album, “My Turn.” It includes fan favorites like “Sum 2 Prove” and “Woah,” combining them with an assortment of new releases that compliment Lil Baby’s sound. Personally, I think rap is the best genre for collaborations between artists, and Gunna’s contribution to “Heatin Up” changes its pace and makes it one of my favorite album additions. “Heatin Up” is the kind of song you blast on your speaker when you’re rallying the energy to go out, and that’s the kind of energy we’re trying to emulate this spring break. 

Ayy Macarena – Remix,” Tyga, Ozuna

When the Macarena plays at Luke’s, you better believe I am racing up to that stage and dancing. This tune makes for instantly good vibes, and Tyga’s remix of the party classic turns it up that extra notch to make it slightly less cringy. He adds an underlying rap beat to the lulls in the lyrics of the Macarena, fooling us into thinking the song is like any other club classic. I think we all wish we were lounging on a tropical island this break, and this Spanish single takes us halfway there. 

Pumpin Blood – The Chainsmokers Remix,” NONONO, The Chainsmokers

Leave it to The Chainsmokers to take any rhythm and make it into a beat that’s worthy of being taken to the dance floor. You’ve probably heard the original “Pumpin Blood,” a whimsical alternative/pop anthem that honestly gives me aggressive middle school flashbacks. This remake makes it just fratty enough that if you find yourself south of the Tennessee border on the lovely shores of Alabama this break, it’s gotta be on your playlist.

Jet Black (feat. Brandy),” Anderson .Paak

This song isn’t a new release either, but it was needed to balance the slightly pungent EDM vibes of the rest of the songs on this playlist. Anderson .Paak sings about going on a drunken date, perfectly capturing the mood with rolling jazz flows and obsessing over his lover’s black hair. This Malibu-based artist blends soul throughout his entire “Ventura” album, making it perfect for lazy days spent off the grid over break. 

Live Off My Closet (feat. Future),” Lil Baby

Lil Baby obviously really killed it with his album “My Turn,” given that I have to include yet another one of his tracks on our spring break playlist. “Live Off My Closet” features Future, which automatically brings the song up a couple notches. I wouldn’t say that it’s anything particularly innovative or special in the lyric department, as the majority of the song is spent glorifying the rapper’s wealth and fame, but it has a great melody that gets the energy going no matter how overused it may be. 

LOVELY (BILLIE EILISH & KHALID FLIP),” Hippie Sabotage

This song strays from our usual picks, as you can only access it on Soundcloud. The “Lovely” by Billie Eilish and Khalid that we’ve come to know is a romantic ballad that certainly lacks the upbeat vibe we’re going for over break, but Hippie Sabotage’s remake flips it on its head. He expertly incorporates electronic bass and melody to the single, maintaining the song’s emotional depth while making it slightly less dreary. The best way to understand the remix is to take a listen yourself, so add it to your playlist and get going.