Keeping busy over break: Spring break activities roundup

Staying on campus for spring break and worried you won’t find anything fun to do to pass the time? Look no further than the Life Section’s 2020 spring break activities roundup.
If you’re staying in Nashville over break, never fear. There’s plenty going on in the upcoming week to keep you busy while you’re on campus.

If you’re spending the week of spring break on Vanderbilt’s campus, you may not be looking forward to the countless times you’ll reach for your phone to text your friends and ask about campus events—only to remember that campus will be nearly empty this week. Have no fear! Now is the perfect time to start checking off some activities on your Nashville bucket list, especially as many of these events coincide with spring break. Get out your calendar and read on for the Hustler’s 2020 “spring break in Nashville” event schedule.

Sunday, Mar. 1

Instagram will load in the frontend.

Nashville Lawn and Garden Show

The Fairgrounds hosts more than just crazy, overcrowded carnivals, and the Nashville Lawn and Garden Show is just one fine example of that. Featuring garden shows and contests, plant workshops and tons of other community activities, this festival ends with a full-day blowout on Mar. 1. If you’ve got a green thumb, don’t miss it! Read more at the Nashville Lawn and Garden Show.

Monday, Mar. 2

Trippie Redd at the War Memorial Auditorium

Feel like a concert on a Monday night? Head on over to the War Memorial Auditorium for Trippie Redd’s Nashville stop on the Love Me More Tour at 8 p.m. Check out ticket options at the WMA.

Instagram will load in the frontend.

Collective Soul at the Ryman Auditorium

Maybe you’re not a huge rap fan, and rock is more your style. In that case, the Ryman Auditorium has got you covered with a 7:30 p.m. show from Georgia rock band Collective Soul. Find ticket prices at the Ryman.

Tuesday, Mar. 3

“Jesus Christ Superstar” at the TPAC

Theater lovers, rejoice: “Jesus Christ Superstar” is coming to the Tennessee Performing Arts Center over spring break, with shows every day Mar. 3-8. This TPAC Off-Broadway production features award-winning music and lyrics from Andrew Lloyd Webber, making this a show you won’t want to miss. See the full list of showtimes at the TPAC.

Wednesday, Mar. 4

Post Malone at Bridgestone Arena

Maybe you’re staying in Nashville over spring break for a specific something—or someone—and maybe that someone is Post Malone. But even if you’re just a casual fan of the Dallas artist, consider heading over to the Bridgestone arena Wednesday night at 8 p.m. for his Nashville stop on the extended Runaway Tour. Check out ticket prices at Bridgestone Arena.

Thursday, Mar. 5

Instagram will load in the frontend.

Nashville Predators vs. Dallas Stars

Vanderbilt students love to say that they’ll one day make it over to Bridgestone Arena for a Nashville Predators game, but for the vast majority of students, an overabundance of schoolwork on game nights always prevents that. Don’t miss this opportunity to finally check a hockey game off your bucket list at 7 p.m. Thursday night. Take a look at seating options at the Bridgestone.

Friday, Mar. 6

“Appalachian Spring” with the Nashville Symphony

We know what you’re thinking: a symphony? Trust us when we say that there’s quite nothing like the immersive musical experience of a performance at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center, and Aaron Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” suite is the perfect masterpiece to help bring out your inner virtuoso. The program begins at 8 p.m. and will feature a Baroque-influenced Brazilian piece and Hovhaness’ “Symphony No. 2” as openers for Copland’s suite. Buy tickets for the Friday night performance at the Schermerhorn.

Saturday, Mar. 7

Instagram will load in the frontend.

Cheekwood in Bloom

Included on the Hustler’s Nashville bucket list, a visit to Cheekwood Estate & Gardens is absolutely essential to making the most of your time in Music City—and there’s no better time to go than Mar. 7, the opening day of this year’s spring seasonal festival Cheekwood in Bloom. This year’s festival will feature not only the usual spring flowers, with over 150,000 blooming bulbs, but also wellness activities, outdoor painting and the grand opening of the Bracken Foundation Children’s Garden. Find out more about tours and event times at Cheekwood.

Instagram will load in the frontend.

First Saturday Art Crawl

Another worthy inclusion in the Hustler’s list of Music City musts, the First Saturday Art Crawl features more than 20 galleries at four locations around downtown Nashville, open to the public for free from 6 to 9 p.m. A trolley system, also free, connects the four locations, so you can truly make the most of your night on Nashville’s art scene. This month’s first Saturday (Mar. 7) happens to fall over spring break, making the Art Crawl a great way to spend the night before students start arriving back on campus on Sunday. Read about participating gallery locations at Nashville Downtown.