Choosing eco-friendly school supplies is one way you can be environmentally friendly on campus.

Environmentality: Sustainable School Supplies

My top school supplies that will help make 2020 a sustainable year.

Welcome back Vandy! I don’t know about everyone else, but to me, it felt like fall semester flew by and winter break lasted all of two seconds. Regardless, spring semester is fast underway, and it’s time to get back into the natural Vandy “study mode.” As you search for school supplies to use during the semester, take a look at these sustainable choices that will start your 2020 off to a good and green start.

Rocketbook Smart Reusable Notebook

Rocketbook Smart Reusable Notebook is my new favorite sustainable school supply. This notebook comes with 36 scannable pages. Users can take notes, scan their pages using the Rocketbook app on their phone, directly transfer them to their computer for storage and erase the pages to take notes all over again. The notebooks act similarly to a white board that can transfer the notes to files on your computer. This technology is great for reducing the 700 pounds of paper wasted each year.

Ordering Books Online

For those who don’t already know, Barnes and Noble offers a phenomenal online bookstore, Yuzu. Students can order nearly all of their textbooks on this website and access them from any device with the internet. This resource drastically reduces the need for paper-consuming textbooks. Plus, it makes lugging your backpack across campus a much easier task. You can also easily create flashcards and highlight important information on this website. I have gotten nearly all of my textbooks through this website, and I highly recommend it for all Vandy students.

Recycled or Bamboo Pencils

Mechanical pencils seem to be the top pick at Vanderbilt, but they come with some harm to the environment. Most mechanical pencils are made with polystyrene, a plastic that takes a significant amount of petroleum to make and years to break down. Instead of using mechanical pencils, try using recycled or bamboo pens and pencils, they are made out of are renewable or reused materials and are therefore much less harmful to the environment.

These are just a few simple options that can significantly reduce your impact on the environment. Plus, some of the technology is pretty cool and can make your trips around campus an easier, more enjoyable experience. Give these supplies a try, and I promise that the earth will thank you later.