Kettner Coffee Supply is located in a gray apartment complex with a modern exterior.
Hannah Haecker

Hannah, Alexa and Joe: Kettner Coffee Supply review

Your new favorite East Nashville coffee shop

Friends and fellow coffee fanatics Hannah and Alexa review Nashville’s new and lesser-known coffee shops in their column “Hannah, Alexa and Joe.” Alexa writes, and Hannah is behind the camera. Check back each Tuesday to find your new favorite cup of joe!

If Nashville is known at least partly for its coffee shops and East Nashville is definitely known for being hip and unorthodox, one would think that East Nashville would be home to Nashville’s most unique coffee shops. However, after the disappointment of Ugly Mugs and the recent news that The Post will become a Frothy Monkey location, East Nashville hasn’t delivered in the unique coffee shop department recently. 

Enter Kettner Coffee Supply.

Further down West Eastland Ave from Mas Tacos Por Favor and The Pharmacy, Kettner Coffee Supply is housed in the lower level of an unassuming gray apartment complex. Think Taco Mama situated under Village 21. 

Hannah Haecker
The cute, but simple mugs match Kettner’s warm retro interior.

Hannah’s Order: Cortado

I chose to get a cortado because I wanted something  similar to a latte but without all of the extra milk. It was a good cup of coffee. The espresso was strong and had a nice full taste, which is what I was looking for. There was none of the burnt taste that often comes through in drinks with less milk. That being said, there was nothing special about the drink and nothing that would make it stand out in my mind as something I should go get again.

Score: 3 cups

Alexa’s Order: Drip coffee

I ordered a standard drip coffee to get some caffeine in my system. I often don’t put creamer or sugar in my coffee to get the full flavor, and I’m glad that I didn’t this time. This drip coffee had a smooth taste and I finished it in about 15 minutes. However, there weren’t any flavors that stood out in this coffee. 

Score: 3.5 cups

The interior of Kettner Coffee Supply is light and eclectic, with a variety of leather chairs and couches. The space is split into two areas, one main area with the coffee bar and a side area with a large leather couch and a few tables. It wasn’t super unique, but it definitely made for a quiet study spot. 

Hannah Haecker
There is ample seating space to enjoy coffee and work in comfort.

Kettner Coffee Supply is connected to a bookshop which is appropriately named The Bookshop. It was nice to walk around and look at their books for a study break. 

Overall, Kettner Coffee Supply is the ideal coffee shop for studying. Quiet and far enough from campus, it provides a great environment for getting work done. We recommend taking a friend with you for the afternoon and stopping at Mas Tacos Por Favor on your way back to campus.