Members of Vanderbilt College Democrats to attend the Democratic presidential debate in Atlanta

Political science professor Jon Meacham provided 50 tickets for students to attend the debate

Former Vice President Joe Biden speaks at Vanderbilt on Tuesday, April 10, 2018. Biden is among the candidates  participating in Wednesday's debate. (Photo courtesy Claire Barnett)

Former Vice President Joe Biden speaks at Vanderbilt on Tuesday, April 10, 2018. Biden is among the candidates participating in Wednesday's debate. (Photo courtesy Claire Barnett)

Logan Cromeens, Staff Writer

Professor Jon Meacham and the Dean of Students office helped Vanderbilt College Democrats (VCD) send 50 of its members to see the fifth Democratic party presidential debate of the year live and in-person in Atlanta, Georgia.

“I feel incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to experience this debate in person. I sincerely consider this trip to Atlanta to be one of the greatest honors and privileges of my college career,” VCD Vice President of Member Development Jamie Jacobson said. “I’m looking forward to seeing the candidates in person and unedited.” 

The debate is taking place at Tyler Perry Studios Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 9 p.m. ET and will feature ten leading Democratic candidates fighting for the support of voters nationwide.

The tickets to the event were provided by Meacham, the Carolyn T. and Robert M. Rogers Chair in American Presidency. 

“Andy Lack, the president of NBC News, which is hosting the debate, asked me if I wanted the tickets for Vanderbilt students. I passed the offer along to Dean [of the College of Arts & Science John] Geer and Dean [of Students Mark] Bandas, who took it from there,” Meacham said in an email to The Hustler. 

The Dean of Students office coordinated the travel to and from the event, part of which included providing VCD with a free charter bus. 

“Since this was a late-breaking educational opportunity that will end with a very late night return to campus, the Dean of Students office wanted to facilitate reliable transportation to the event that would allow students and Dean of Students staff to travel together,” Bandas said in an email to The Hustler. 

This opportunity is not only a unique experience for the attending students, but it also holds implications regarding the direction of our country.

“I believe that the upcoming election cycle has the potential not just to define the Democratic Party but to determine the future of our entire generation,” Jacobson said.