A24 brings supernatural thrills to campus with “The Witch”

The A24 at Vandy program will be offering a free screening of the 2015 horror film Oct. 19 in Buttrick 103
Thomasin looks into the woods in fear. Image courtesy of a24films.com

What’s more Halloween than a scary movie? Beyond candy and costumes and carving pumpkins, horror movies are the absolute staple of this time of year. While watching a slasher flick on your laptop in the comfort of your own dorm is very appeal, A24 at Vandy is bringing a big-screen horror experience to campus. On Saturday Oct. 19, 2019, the program will be screening Roger Eggers’ “The Witch” in Buttrick 103 in honor of his new film “The Lighthouse” which will be released later this month. Anyone on campus is welcome to see this brooding horror masterpiece on one of the biggest screens on campus.

In spirit of films like “The Exorcist” or “The Shining,” “The Witch” is a definition of a horror slow-burn. The movie follows a family of Puritan Pilgrims exiled from their village for witchcraft. The family attempts to make a life on their own at the edge of the woods, until a looming force begins to creep its way out of the trees and wreak havoc on their lives.

Eggers takes his time to build the atmosphere of this film, creating an unsettling feeling that sits in every shot of the film. The dialogue and story of the film is based on written accounts of witchcraft, including journals, diaries and court records. The film gives off this authentic and unsettling depiction of some New England folktale gone horribly wrong, and is a must-see for anyone into methodical and psychological horror.

You can RSVP to the screening here or check out the event on Facebook.