The Senior Class Fund welcomes back undergrads with Pups and Pops

Alumni Lawn was filled with students and dogs alike for the first ever Pups and Pops Welcome Party on Sept. 9, which celebrated alumni
Photo by Mattigan Kelly

There is nothing quite like some puppies to make Monday a little better for all of us. Alumni Hall Lawn’s grass field transformed on Sept. 9’s sunny afternoon into a plaza of fun games, therapy dogs, popsicles and goodie bags. The Senior Class Fund’s Pups and Pops Welcome Event was a fun way to celebrate Vanderbilt’s alumni as well as give students an excuse to mingle out in the sun.

The event was hosted as a spin-off of the Pups and Pops event hosted last April by the Senior Class Fund. But this time, the event was open to all undergraduates to acknowledge the feats of Vanderbilt’s talented alumni. Signs were scattered throughout the entrance pathway educating students on the profound achievements alumni have made to the Vanderbilt community. To mark their appreciation, students were given the opportunity to be a part of Thank-a-Dore and add to a painted mural for alumni.

One of the three therapy dogs spending time with the undergrads at Pups and Pops. Photo by Mattigan Kelly

“This event is put on by the Senior Class Fund, which focuses on providing various things to graduating students. But ultimately, Pups and Pops is  about giving back to the school and learning about what our alumni does for us on the regular,” senior Jessica Thomas said. “We’re also working towards our ultimate goal of having our challenge center meet $100,000 for Experience Vanderbilt.” 

Despite the 97​ degree ​heat, undergraduate students enjoyed painting, picking up goodie bags, and getting popsicles provided by Las Paletas. Present were three therapy dogs, as well as an open station for playing life-size games like cornhole, Jenga, checkers and Connect Four.

“It’s a nice vibe and a nice study break. I like the bag of free stuff, and the dogs are all very cute,” sophomore Lilah Givens said.

It’s difficult to call puppies, free treats and an excuse to stay outdoors a bad time, so it goes without saying that the Pups and Pops Welcome Party was a memorable way for undergraduates to spend their Monday with friends through philanthropic means.