IN PHOTOS: Diverse Dores Day 2019

IN PHOTOS: Diverse ‘Dores Day 2019

The sixth annual Diverse ‘Dores Day focuses on “Finding Authentic Community”

The Dean of Students Office (DOS) hosted its annual Diverse ‘Dores Day on Tuesday, Sept. 3. At the event, students had the opportunity to explore Vanderbilt’s resources regarding identity on campus and learn about the ways in which the university fosters the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.

Diverse ‘Dores Day and the DOS partnered with the Black Cultural Center (BCC), the Center for Student Wellbeing (CSW), International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), the Office of LGBTQI Life (KC Potter Center), the Office of the University Chaplain and Religious Life (OUCRL), Project Safe, the Student Center for Social Justice and Identity (SJI) and the Women’s Center to present this year’s theme of “Finding Authentic Community.” 

For Diverse ‘Dores Day, students started at one of the previously mentioned centers and received a map that acted like passport. At each location, students ate, received prizes and engaged in various activities ranging from Kahoot! to a question wheel in order to learn more about the resources offered. Once they completed the activity, they received a stamp or sticker on that map and could move on to their next stop.

“Diverse ‘Dores Day helped me get closer with friends by starting important conversations,” junior Stephanie Wang said. “I also got to learn how to access resources I was previously unaware about or had misconceptions about. Plus I love popsicles!”

Black Cultural Center

“I think Diverse ‘Dores Day is important in that it gives students the opportunity to learn about all the identity centers here on campus,” BCC Assistant Director Katrina Crawford said. “Today we’re playing Kahoot! with some black history and black Vanderbilt facts. I think it’s important for students to know the history and the culture and why we even have a Black Cultural Center, so we do that during Diverse ‘Dores Day. This is an opportunity again for students to learn more about the identity centers, the different programming that we have and the different opportunities for collaboration – just to let them know where they can come for anything that they need.”

Center for Student Wellbeing

International Student and Scholar Services

“I’m here with my Visions group, and I thought it was a really great way for them to get familiar with the resources so that they actually know where to go when they need these things” VUceptor Hermela Gebremariam said.

KC Potter Center

Junior Jordan Purcell works at the front desk of the KC Potter Center as part of the 2019 Diverse ‘Dores Day. (Photo by Emily Gonçalves)

“This was my first year working Diverse ‘Dores Day, and I really enjoyed meeting students and faculty on campus” student staffer Jordan Purcell said. “I think it’s important for black LGBTQ+ people to be able to see themselves in this space.”

Religious Life

Chris Ross Donald, University Chaplain and Director of Religious Life, and his daughter celebrate Diverse ‘Dores Day 2019 at the OUCRL. (Photo by Emily Gonçalves)

“Since this is my first fall at Vanderbilt, I found Diverse ‘Dores was a great way to meet students and for students to visit Religious Life and the other offices and centers serving students” University Chaplain and Director of Religious Life Chris Ross Donald said. “I really admire the commitment of the university and these offices to ensuring that all students feel welcomed in our community.”

Project Safe

Social Justice and Identity

“As a new staff member on the SCSJI team, I’m inspired by the positivity, visibility, and hopeful nature of this event. The positive and affirming impact the visibility of resources and allies has on multicultural students – as well as international and underrepresented student groups – is what enriches the student experience,” SJI Program Coordinator Melody Pabon said. “I feel that Diverse ‘Dores Day is one manifestation of Vanderbilt’s commitment to developing student leaders in an increasingly multicultural world. I’m excited to be working with people dedicated to making Vanderbilt an inclusive campus that embraces the diverse experiences of its students.”

Women’s Center

Sarratt Promenade

After getting at least four out of the eight stops on their map stamped, students were rewarded with free t-shirts and cupcakes.

Diverse ‘Dores day kicks off in Sarratt Promenade on Tuesday, September 3, 2019. (Photo by Emily Gonçalves)

“This was my third year on the Diverse ‘Dores Day committee, and my first year chairing it,” said Women’s Center Program Coordinator Brianna Nesbitt. “For me, this event represents so many amazing things about Vanderbilt, like the community and incredible resources we have on campus. Being able to interact with students who are either new to campus or haven’t yet engaged with these spaces is exciting!”

L
lance johnson

Sadly, Trump’s contentious issue is yet one more thing that makes being an international student away from home difficult, compounded by our complex culture and language problems. Welcoming and assimilation assistance must come from numerous sources, including the White House, to aid these young people embarking on life’s journey.
Most struggle in their efforts and need guidance from schools’ international departments, immigration protection, host families, concerned neighbors and fellow students, and even informative books to extend a cultural helping hand.
Something that might help anyone coming to the US is the award-winning worldwide book/ebook “What Foreigners Need To Know About America From A To Z: How to Understand Crazy American Culture, People, Government, Business, Language and More.”
Used in foreign Fulbright student programs and endorsed worldwide by ambassadors, educators, and editors, it identifies how “foreigners” have become successful in the US, including students.
It explains how to cope with a confusing new culture and friendship process, and daunting classroom differences. It explains how US businesses operate and how to get a job (which differs from most countries), a must for those who want to work with/for an American firm here or overseas.
It also identifies the most common English grammar and speech problems foreigners have and tips for easily overcoming them, the number one stumbling block they say they have to succeeding here.
Good luck to all at Vandi or wherever you study or wherever you come from, because that is the TRUE spirit of the American PEOPLE, not a few in government who shout the loudest! Supporters of int’l students must shout louder.