Deep Tropics Music, Art & Style Festival aims to celebrate sustainability

Courtesy of Deep Tropics

There is no doubt that Nashville lives up to its reputation as “Music City, U.S.A.” in terms of representing the country genre. With that being said, it is a rare occurrence that our growing city sees big names in other categories such as electronic and house. For that reason, it is worth getting excited about this weekend’s Deep Tropics Music, Art and Style Festival at Bicentennial Capitol Mall State Park in Germantown, which aims to reconnect Nashville and travellers with Deep Culture. 

The company behind the festival is Full Circle Presents, and although this is only their second iteration of Deep Tropics, the company has been very active in the past couple years trying to attract EDM artists to the Nashville music scene. This year, artists on the bill include Troyboi, Cashmere Cat, Bonobo, What So Not, Shiba San, Lane 8, as well as pre-party special guests Earthgang and Dr. Fresch. 

“The music really excites me and I think Nashville needs more of it,” Marketing and Publicity Coordinator Zoe Yarborough said. “Even if you’re not super familiar with the lineup, our team has handpicked every single person that’s going to be there, and they’re the cream of the crop.”

Besides a powerful lineup and affordable ticket prices, which for a single day go for as little as $50, this festival is differentiated by its heightened efforts towards sustainability. 

As a 501(c)(3), a significant portion of Deep Tropics’ profit will benefit Greenways for Nashville. The non-profit’s core mission is to connect the city on walkable, green surfaces that lower the need to drive. Their impact has been incredibly tangible, as city residents can now enjoy the organization’s trail footprint of nearly 100 miles. 

However, the festival’s dedication to Greenways goes beyond just their donation. Deep Tropics is trying to achieve as close to a zero footprint in every aspect of their production, from their merchandising to biodegradable utensils. Similarly, their venue at the state park is entirely inspired by Greenways’ mission, so guests can expect a lush amphitheatre with free, refillable water bottles, according to Yarborough.

Beyond the music, there is an exciting schedule of curated experiences that the tropical-themed “dance party” has planned. These include separately ticketed pre-and-after parties almost daily in walkable locations where artists from the festival are planning to pop up, according to Yarborough. There will also be muralists, circus-esque performers, and delicious food trucks aplenty. 

“We want people to know that there is going to be something for everyone. You don’t have to be a raver to come,” Yarborough said. “It really is just going to be a giant party.”

The event is 18 and up. Grab your tickets here for the unique opportunity to hear your favorite EDM artists as the sun sets in front of the Tennessee State Capitol.