Five Vanderbilt announcements you missed this summer

From reducing speed limits to hosting TV shows, the university had a busy summer
Vanderbilt will be building more professional and graduate housing in midtown beginning this year. (Former Hustler Multimedia/Emily Gonçalves

Haven’t checked your email all summer? No problem, we did for you. We identified five of the most important and interesting updates Vanderbilt released over the summer. The university has made some pretty groundbreaking changes, such as ditching the Vandy Van brand altogether and launching a plan to build more graduate housing in midtown. 

1. Vandy Vans have been replaced by VandyRide

The revamped service under the new name now has extended service hours, operating from 5 p.m.- 3:30 a.m. daily. Routes are also updated to reflect student use of the system. Vanderbilt also plans on adding shelter to some stops in the future. To use the system, students should download the app VandyRide.

1. VandySafe app is now linked to AlertVU system

If you have VandySafe, the app launched by Vanderbilt University Public Safety, you will receive the safety notificatications that you also receive through AlertVU. AlertVU notifies users of emergencies through texts, calls and emails.

1. Speed limits were reduced on many campus streets

In order to protect pedestrians, speed limits were lowered in July throughout campus. Impacted streets include 25th Ave. S, 24th Ave. S and Vanderbilt Place, all of which were changed from 30 MPH to 25 MPH. 

1. Vanderbilt released plan for new graduate housing in Midtown

Beginning later this year, the university will begin its plan to expand housing options for graduate students. The first construction will be a 600-bed unit on Broadway, which will eventually be a part of a “graduate and professional student housing village,” according to the press release.

1. Episode of BBC show was filmed on campus in Turner Hall

On June 3, BBC recorded an episode of “The Arts Hour on Tour,” a show focused on art filmed monthly at different locations, in Turner Hall on Blair’s campus. The episode is described as including performances from country music artists and discussion on issues facing Nashville and country music. Featured artists included Cam, Jimmie Allen and Morgan Evans.