IN PHOTOS: First-year Move-in 2019

Check out our photos of the Class of 2023 Move-in!
The Class of 2023 moves into the Ingram Commons on Saturday, August 17, 2019. (Photo by Hunter Long)

Vanderbilt’s Class of 2023 moved into their new homes on Commons Aug. 17. Every first-year student lives in one of ten houses on the Commons, providing incoming students with a community of peers in addition to a Faculty Head of House upon their entry to Vanderbilt’s campus.

As the newest Commodores stepped on campus, student volunteers known as “Move Crew,” VUceptors, parent volunteers and Faculty Heads of Houses cheered them on and welcomed them to Vanderbilt. Move Crew is an annual tradition in which returning Vanderbilt students volunteer to move students’ belongings into their dorms.

Senior Brandi Bryson and other student volunteers help the Vanderbilt Class of 2023 move into their new home on the Ingram Commons on Saturday, August 17, 2019. (Photo by Emily Gonçalves)

“This is my second year doing Move Crew, and it is always so great to see the love that old residents and friends help spread to new nervous freshmen,” senior Brandi Bryson said. “Move Crew is really a beautiful show of community bringing together new friends and old ones!”

Sophomore Maddie Woods helps at First-year Move-in on Saturday, August 17, 2019. (Photo by Emily Gonçalves)

“I think my favorite part of Move-in as a VUceptor was being able to provide support to students in a pretty confusing time,” sophomore Maddie Woods said. “I know when I was moving in last year, I was filled with so much excitement but also so many nerves that I had a hard time just focusing on the present and not feeling overwhelmed. To be able to help students dig into their excitement while also helping them feel grounded and honoring their feelings was really rewarding, because it was what I needed and received from my VUceptor last year!”

After moving in that day, students headed to the Commons Center to get their Commodore Cards and orientation schedules. Various events, including a Family Welcome and Harambee March at the Black Cultural Center and a Hillel Bagel Brunch, took place throughout the day in order to welcome the Class of 2023. 

The move-in festivities concluded with Commons House dinners for students and their families in addition to opportunities to attend a Jewish Havdalah, Catholic Mass, Protestant Service and Muslim Student Meet and Greet. Back in the dorms, first-year students met with their floors, resident advisors and Faculty Heads of Houses in order to discuss the upcoming year.

Move-in day is one of many events and traditions for first-year students, ranging from Founders Walk to a night at the Frist Art Museum, to welcome them to the Vanderbilt community.