Which Nashville restaurants came and went in summer 2019

Nashville has been growing immensely in the past couple years as a tourist and culinary hub, and with this growth must come change. This summer has followed this pattern as we saw a number of classic eateries close their doors after several years of operation. Yet, in their wake, eye-catching restaurants that are worth getting excited about have been popping up everywhere from Germantown to Hillsboro Village. Below, we’ve compiled a list of some of the cult-favorites that closed their doors this past summer as well as the new establishments that took their place. 

What Closed…

Prince’s Hot Chicken (North Nashville)

Last year, the beloved spot for traditional Nashville hot chicken took a tumble when a car crash and fire forced them to close their doors indefinitely in late December. Owner Andre Jeffries hoped for the best, but due to delays in repair of the damaged ceiling rafters it was announced this summer that the location would be permanently closed. Prince’s is now on the hunt for other outposts in North Nashville to serve their fiery menu. 

International Market and Restaurant

Owner Patti Myint has been serving savory Thai dishes and special groceries at the International Market since 1975, earning a solid base of customers from nearby Vanderbilt and Belmont students. On July 31, the restaurant closed its doors, but its cherished offerings may not be so far from reach. In an effort to continue the legacy of their mother, Anna and Arnold Myint closed sister restaurant Blvd and are spending the upcoming months revamping the location to open the new International Market outpost. Along with original menu items, customers can expect some new Thai concoctions developed by the Myint siblings, plus more modern décor and a full bar. Check out the team’s progress on their Instagram

Le Sel

Inside the Adelicia condo tower, brothers Benjamin and Max Goldberg of Strategic Hospitality have spent the last four years wow-ing customers with their innovative French cuisine. However, Le Sel’s last day of operations was on Sunday, May 19. The pair did not note a reason for closing their restaurant, but loyal customers will miss their daily oysters and brilliant brunch menu. 

Piranha’s Bar & Grill

Not necessarily known for their fine cuisine, Piranha’s was a Vanderbilt staple nonetheless. The location was forced to close its doors in the beginning of June due to trouble competing with the big-name venues on Broadway. However, owners hope to someday find another location to reopen.

What Opened…

Waldo’s Chicken & Beer

While Nashville locals have been missing the Mexican classics that were served in Germantown’s Little Donkey, on May 13 the vacated space was finally filled with something that Fresh Hospitality promises to be bigger and better. Waldo’s Chicken & Beer serves their prime poultry four ways: on the bone, on a bun, in a basket or in a bowl. Customers can look forward to receiving the southern comfort food that Nashville does best, with housemade sides ranging from salted french fries to creamy mac n’ cheese. 

1120 4th Ave. N., Nashville; 615-610-3394

Emmy Squared

Locals know that cult favorite Emmy Squared is one of the prime pizza spots in Nashville to get some upscale pepperoni slices. The Pizza Loves Emily family of restaurants decided that with increasing popularity it was time to expand, and so an extension of the delicious Italian outpost popped up on May 31 in Green Hills.

3821 Green Hills Village Drive, Nashville; (615) 800-5400

‘Za

Fans of breakfast sensation Biscuit Love will be excited to hear that Chef Karl Worley has expanded his talents into ‘Za, a wood-fired pizza restaurant. The new Italian pit-stop opened its doors in Hillsboro Village in late July in the former Juice Bar location, right alongside its sister biscuit restaurant. Customers can expect authentic prosciutto-topped pizzas and a variety of other menu items inspired by the chef’s trips to Italy. 

See the menu of Belcourt’s newest spotlight restaurant here

2005 Belcourt Ave, Nashville

North Italia

Nashville continued its trend this summer of Italian eateries with North Italia, an already popular pasta joint that will be ready to join the Nashville food scene on August 28. The restaurant is an extension of Fox Restaurant Concepts in Arizona, and will be situated in the newly renovated Mall at Green Hills in a modern, 7,000 square foot space. Bread lovers can get excited for the beloved truffle garlic bread as well as a number of other authentic Italian menu items including various small plates and pizzas. 

2159 Green Hills Village Dr, Nashville; (615) 622-7423