Thomas-Hunt accepts executive position at Airbnb

Robinson is a professor in the School of Engineering, leading the Security and Faculty Tolerance Research Group at Vanderbilt and co-leading the Explorations in Diversifying Engineering Faculty Initiative. (Photo credit Vanderbilt University)

Rachel Friedman, Campus Editor

William Robinson, current Associate Dean for Academic Success in the School of Engineering, will replace Vice Provost of Strategic Initiatives Melissa Thomas-Hunt who leads the Office for Inclusive Excellence.

Robinson officially assumes the role June 1, who is currently a professor of electrical and computer engineering. Thomas-Hunt leaves Vanderbilt to join Airbnb’s executive team as Head of Global Diversity and Belonging in San Fransisco.

“I look forward to broader engagement with faculty and students on how we can continue to foster a diverse and inclusive academic environment at Vanderbilt. I have had the opportunity to explore these issues from a faculty perspective, and I am excited to advance best practices as a member of the provost’s leadership team,” Robinson said to Vanderbilt News in a May 8 article.

Previously, Robinson served on the Chancellor’s Committee on Diversity, Inclusion, and Community and received a Chancellor’s Award for Research on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in 2016, according to the Vanderbilt News article. Furthermore, he chaired the Faculty Senate Standing Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the 2018-2019 academic year.

Thomas-Hunt established the Provost’s Office for Inclusive Excellent and developed the Faculty IMPACT leadership development series. She also served as a professor in the Owen School and served as the faculty director for Moore College.

Rachel Friedman, Campus Editor

Rachel Friedman is a sophomore in the College of Arts & Science studying history and mathematics. You can reach her at rachel.f.friedman@vanderbilt.edu.