Anti-Trump protest heard throughout campus, blocks 21st Ave.

On Nov. 11, 2016, hundreds of members of the Vanderbilt community met to protest Donald Trump’s election as president. Vanderbilt students joined others across the country that have rallied against Trump’s election and his message.

“We will not stand with a president that hates so many of our people. Students are unhappy with the decision of the electoral college and of those that are able to vote and who are not banned because of voting restriction laws” said Shawn Reilly, one of the organizers of the event. “We will not stand with Trump as our president.”

Kadiri Vaquer, another event organizer, believes that this event allowed people to engage with their feelings about this election.

“I think that instead of secluding ourselves and insulating, I think we have to get back out and realize that there are a lot of other people that are sharing these feelings as well.”

Students met in front of Central Library just past noon, first in small clusters but growing into  a group that totaled hundreds. Joining undergraduate students were members of Vanderbilt’s graduate schools as well as staff and faculty. Many of those who attended were unclear about who was organizing the event.

The protesters marched around campus, through Rand Hall, Sarratt Student Center, the Divinity school, Law school, Warren and Moore, Wilson Hall and Kirkland Hall.

Protesters also blocked traffic on West End as the entire group stopped at the intersection of 21st Avenue S and West End for about five minutes while a contingent of Metro Police blocked traffic.

Protesters chanted “No Justice. No peace” in unison as they walked. Leaders of the protest yelled “Tell me what democracy looks like” while other protesters responded, “This is what democracy looks like.” Protesters also screamed, “Not our president” and “We reject the president elect.” Many carried bright gold flags marked with the word “Dignity” and other carried signs saying “We stand by you” and “We stand together.” At the front of the line was a group of drummers and singers, whose loud words and rhythms were heard all around campus, energizing protesters.

In addition to protesting the presidential election results, the group rallied in Rand in a show of support for Vanderbilt Dining workers. Protesters gathered and called “This is a message to our dining workers. We are here for you. We will get you a living wage. We will get your union rights restored. Vanderbilt students love our dining workers. They too are Vanderbilt.” Dining workers gathered around protesters and cheered and clapped at the show of support.

The group returned to Central Library at the end of the protest after over an hour of walking through campus. Organizers led a call to action that previewed future on-campus events and called for those in attendance to be more active and look at activism beyond the protest.

Vaquer made clear that this event was just the beginning of efforts to bring the campus community together.

“I feel like we are together and we’re strong and that there are a lot of things we don’t do, that there’s a lot of work that has to be done,” Vaquer said. “I think we need to continue organizing and I think we need to be kind. That may sound like something very simple, but be kind to others and realize that something did happen… We’re all processing and dealing with this in different ways.”

Beth Fortune, Vice Chancellor of Public Affairs at Vanderbilt, issued a statement to the Hustler regarding the protest on behalf of the University.

“We support our students exercising their First Amendment rights and want all students to feel welcome and safe to do so in this university environment dedicated to the critical discussion of complex and challenging ideas,” the statement reads. “We talk regularly with students and student groups to hear about their experiences and encourage them to come forward with their concerns.”

Sara Ernst and Zoë Shancer contributed to this report.

Photos by Ziyi Liu.

Videos by Sara Ernst and Cutler Klein.

Ziyi Liu, Author

L
Lainey Smith

You people are pathetic. Trump is POTUS elect and all you are doing is embarrassing yourself. Go back to class.

G
George
Reply to  Lainey Smith

Agree with Lainey. You students have led a sheltered life where everyone gets a participation trophy. You’ve never experienced hunger, never had to fight for the liberties we enjoy and you are an embarrassment to the rest of us. Do you even know why you are protesting? I doubt if any of you know the history of the Clinton Cartel because most of you weren’t born when they started murdering their enemies.

Here is a wake up call. When you graduate don’t expect your employer to provide safe spaces when you get your feelings hurt. Your entitlement ends the day you graduate.

G
George Fischer

I feel sorry for today’s college students. They are being indoctrinated (brainwashed) by our bleeding heart liberal professors. You guys don’t have a clue what Hillary and Bill have done in the last 20 years. At least 33 of their associates have died under questionable circumstances- many attributable to suicide (some shooting by themselves in the back)

http://www.wnd.com/2016/08/clinton-death-list-33-most-intrigiung-cases/

I pray that none of you safe space “snowflakes” join the armed services. We need a stronger military and not a president that goes on a one year apology tour (obama) to denounce the United States

I am so proud to be an American today.
I voted for the unborn, the veterans, the basement dwellers, the Little Sisters of the Poor, the brave men deserted and murdered in Benghazi, the working poor, the unemployed and underemployed, the deplorables, the irredeemables, the Catholics, the police officers, the firefighters, the armed forces, the tradesmen, the moms, the priests, the elderly, the students, and the teachers. I voted for those who can’t or won’t vote. I voted to uphold the Hyde Amendment. I voted for those who are afraid for the future of America and those who aren’t afraid enough. I voted for religious freedom. I voted for the Constitution. I voted to drain the swamp. I voted for term limits. I voted to bust up government corruption. I voted for all those who get judged and written off for their past sins. I voted for the good husbands, fathers, loving grandfathers, and patriots who used to be crass youths with rotten judgment. I voted for the farmers and small business owners. I voted for those victimized by Obamacare’s punitive costs. I voted for lower taxes. I voted to repeal the Johnson Amendment. I voted for better trade deals. I voted for Supreme Court justices who aren’t leftist activists. I voted for jobs. I voted for the non-politician. I voted to banish political correctness. I voted for the candidate who has angered and frightened both parties’ elites. I voted for the American Dream. I voted for law and order. I voted for the right to life. I voted for Donald J. Trump and Mike Pence. God bless America!

L
Lainey Smith

You will no longer get any funds from me. As a Vandy grad I am embarrassed by the immaturity of students. Disgusting whiny brats.