Tennessee Performing Arts Center announces 2019-20 season

Catch these must-see shows coming to Nashville starting next fall

With the end of the school year approaching and summer on the horizon, next semester is likely the last thing on anyone’s mind. However, the Tennessee Performing Arts Center’s incredible line-up for their 2019-20 show season is certainly something to look forward to when we return to campus in a few months. Here is what you can find coming to town:

Dear Evan Hansen – September 10-15, 2019
This pop culture phenomenon will finally make its way to Nashville as part of its first national tour. Dear Evan Hansen swept the Tony’s in 2017 with six awards including Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Original Score and Best Performance by a Leading Actor. With music by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul of La La Land and The Greatest Showman, as well as a moving story, you won’t want to miss the opportunity to see this show while you can.

Once on This Island – October 15-20, 2019
Once on This Island tells the story of a young girl living on an island in the Caribbean Sea as she discovers herself through community and love. This revival of the original 1995 production won the 2018 Tony Award for Best Revival of a Musical. Experience this one-act journey of incredible storytelling and celebration.

SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical – November 5-10, 2019
One of television’s most iconic characters comes to life on the stage. With musical numbers by David Bowie, Panic! at the Disco, Cyndi Lauper, John Legend and more, this spectacle is bound to be nothing short of extraordinary. See this small sponge with a big heart in what The New York Times calls a “ginormous giggle of a show.”

Cats – November 19-24, 2019
Andrew Lloyd-Webber’s classic returns to TPAC for the ninth time in its history. Since its 1981 premiere in London, Cats has been produced across America and the world, and holds the title of the fourth ever longest-running Broadway production. This tour is based on the 2016 revival, which was nominated for multiple Drama Desk, Drama League and Chita Rivera awards.

Hamilton – December 31, 2019 – January 19, 2020
This one needs little to no explanation. The smash-hit tale of one of our country’s founding fathers finally makes its way to Music City. Don’t miss your chance to see one of the greatest works of art of our time while it’s just around the corner.

*Warning: Many websites claim to be selling tickets, but none have been released for sale yet. The only authorized place to purchase tickets are at the TPAC box office or tpac.org

My Fair Lady – February 4-9, 202
This revamped revival of the Lerner and Loewe classic is a must-see. Director Bartlett Sher of the recent Fiddler on the Roof revival brings modern light to this tale, filled with its legendary songs and stunning scenery. Having received ten Tony Award nominations in 2018, My Fair Lady is sure to be a fantastic addition to next year’s season.

Jesus Christ Superstar – March 3-8, 2020
Andrew Lloyd-Webber’s brilliant music can once again be heard on the TPAC stage, though this time in the form of an operatic, rock-and-roll telling of the last week of Jesus’ life. A recent live television production starring John Legend brought attention to this show, which can now be seen live in the city. What better way to spend a spring evening than with this highly awarded, genre-bending musical?

The Color Purple – March 27-29, 2020
This musical adaptation of the 1982 novel of the same name is sure to blow you away with its incredibly moving songs and story. After a show-stopping performance and win for Best Revival of a Musical at the 2016 Tony’s, The Color Purple makes its way through Nashville on its fourth national tour.

Escape to Margaritaville – May 5-10, 2020
Find yourself on island time with this fun and tropical show. Based around the songs of American entertainment figure Jimmy Buffett, Escape to Margaritaville is the perfect way to unwind after a long academic year. Grab your tickets and a “Cheeseburger in Paradise” for an exciting time.

Summer: The Donna Summer Musical – May 26-31, 2020
Next in the line-up comes another show about an American music icon. Watch the life of Donna Summer unfold on stage, told through her own music. Summer will have you hooked the entire time with groovy disco ensemble numbers and powerfully emotional ballads.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – June 9-14, 2020
Based on Roald Dahl’s emblematic novel, this show is nothing short of “Pure Imagination.” The 2017 revival replica will dazzle you with a mix of classic and new songs, creative design and a real glass elevator that is not to be missed.