VSG releases survey of potential Taste of Nashville additions

Students can vote to choose which restaurants they’d like to see on the card next year

VSG just released a survey asking students to voice their opinions on which restaurants they’d like to add to the Taste of Nashville program. Though the list is already stacked with great places like Hopdoddy, The Grilled Cheeserie, Biscuit Love and Nama Sushi, Campus Dining updates the list every year to cater to students’ changing tastes. Thirteen chains and local eateries alike have made the cut to be possible additions to the program next year. Check out the Hustler’s breakdown below before casting your vote for the 2019-2020 school year. The survey can be found here; voting closes Thursday, April 11 at noon.

The Ainsworth
Location: Midtown on 21st Ave. S
The Ainsworth is a relatively new restaurant that brings a classic sports bar edge to Midtown. With a warm and picturesque interior, The Ainsworth is close enough to campus to make it a major contender when you’re craving American cuisine. The Mac-and-Cheese Burger and Foodgood 24K Gold Wings are truly stand out dishes.

Meet Noodles
Location: Hillsboro Village on Belcourt Ave.
Meet Noodles is a new Chinese restaurant that offers a variety of Chongqing noodle dishes for about $15 or less. With an extensive menu and the option to order online, Meet Noodles seems like a great alternative to Satay or your new go-to take out place in Hillsboro.

Newk’s Eatery
Location: West End Ave.
Newk’s Eatery is similar to Panera, with an array of sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts that you can mix and match. Options are classics like a Smoked Ham sandwich or their signature Newk’s “Q” BBQ chicken and bacon sandwich. The mostly-Southern chain would be great for a quick bite on-the-go if you’re looking to picnic in Centennial Park.

Donatos Pizza
Location: Midtown on Broadway
Donatos Pizza is a national chain right by Chuy’s. Their signature Edge To Edge Pepperoni pizza is absolutely loaded with pepperoni, or you can go for their Serious Cheese pizza or even a calzone or sub. With plenty of options or even a create-your-own, Donatos could satisfy your pizza craving.

Poke Bros
Location: Elliston Place, next to Satay
With 24 locations around the country, Poke Bros is a fresh sushi alternative. With the option to choose one of their signature poke bowls or build your own, there is plenty of room to customize your order. Prices hover around $11 for a bowl.

Wingstop
Location: Elliston Place
Wingstop is your one-stop-shop for all things wing. Perfect for a night in around the TV, order your wings delivery and dig into flavors like Atomic, Hickory Smoked BBQ or Garlic Parmesan. You can also choose boneless or classic wings. Their website includes a handy Wing Calculator if you’re not sure how many wings is right for your group.

Taco Mama
Location: Hillsboro Village on 21st Ave. S
While it seems like Nashville is just filled to the brim with taco joints, Taco Mama has changed the Hillsboro dining game. It’s fresh and affordable, with most meals costing about $10. You can build your own tacos, burritos, bowls, salads and quesadillas or just roll with the specialty items. As far as tacos go, the Sizzler, Ahi Tuna and Mayor are crowd favorites, but you can’t go wrong with the Q Burrito, Hippie Fisherman or Big Client either. The colorful lights, hanging bikes and Music City-inspired decor make it a perfect spot for a fun, casual dinner.

The Donut + Dog
With layered donuts, loaded hot dogs and delicious coffee, The Donut + Dog has friendly service and a cozy, welcoming atmosphere. Perfect for a social lunch or a day of studying, you’ll want to stick around to enjoy your time here. Be sure to get there early if you want to guarantee one of their constantly rotating donut flavors like the peachy Southern Belle, decadent Sweet Baby Jesus or classic O.G.

Rock N Roll Sushi
Rock N Roll Sushi is a new addition to the Hillsboro neighborhood. The rock theme permeates the restaurant from decor to the names of the sushi rolls, bringing the question of whether you’re more of a Fleetwood Mac or Rolling Stones fan to a whole other level. Most of the sushi options hover around the $12 mark, making it a less expensive alternative to Nama.

Jason’s Deli
Location: West End Ave.
Jason’s Deli offers a variety of affordable sandwiches, soups and salads, making it a great alternative to Panera when you’re on main campus. Try a muffaletta or build your own croissant masterpiece, order in or take it to-go. Either way, Jason’s Deli will be there for you if you’re stuck in a Randwich rut.

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams
If you haven’t tried Jeni’s, now is your chance. Putting this Nashville staple on the Commodore Card will make it a no-brainer for a late night snack or a stop in between classes on Commons. Their upscale flavors, including seasonal options, have something for anyone. Whether you can’t resist their Brown Butter Almond Brittle or crave their dairy-free options like the Frosé, Jeni’s is ready to meet your every need.

McDougal’s Chicken Fingers and Wings
McDougal’s has a wacky, fun ambience with loads of knick knacks, license plates and photos adorning the walls. The small shop is not far from campus and keeps it simple with chicken fingers and wings as well as a few salads, sandwiches and basic sides. Their baskets fall around the $10 range, so it’s a relatively reasonably priced spot for a night out with friends.

Jimmy John’s
Location: West End Ave.
Jimmy John’s is known nationally as the sub shop that’s “So Fast You’ll Freak.” Their speedy service is all on display while you order at the counter and watch them make your sandwich. All numbered, you can choose from favorites like the Turkey Tom or J.J. BLT.