The Hustler will help record Tiny Desk Contest student submissions

This year marks the first year that students under 21 can enter the contest

For the first time, musicians under 21 years of age (but at least 18 years old) can submit to NPR’s annual Tiny Desk Contest. Thus, NPR Music reached out to college newspapers such as the Hustler to promote the contest to newly eligible students.The Vanderbilt Hustler will offer up recording equipment and staff to students looking to submit to NPR’s 2019 Tiny Desk Contest.

Here’s how it’ll work:

Email Dallas Shatel ([email protected]) if you would like to participate. We will set up a time and place to record your song (it must be an original song, and you must perform behind a desk of some sort). After you have uploaded your video to YouTube and submitted it to npr.org/tinydeskcontest, we will feature your concert in an article. At the end of the submission period, we will have readers vote on their favorite.

All videos must submitted to NPR by Sunday, April 14.

The Tiny Desk Concerts began in 2008, and since then they have featured both established and up-and-coming music artists in an intimate concert right at All Songs Considered host Bob Boilen’s desk. Since 2014, NPR has opted to host an annual contest in which unsigned acts can submit an original 1-song performance for a chance to perform a Tiny Desk Concert.

See the official announcement below.

Got a song you want the world to hear? The Tiny Desk Contest wants to hear from you! NPR Music is looking for the next great undiscovered musician to perform at the Tiny Desk and tour the country! That’s right – you could perform at the same desk that has featured artists like Maggie Rogers, Chance the Rapper and Yo-Yo Ma. Find out more at npr.org/tinydeskcontest. You have until Sunday, April 14 — better hurry!