Plan your week: 3/11 to 3/16

Avery Muir, Life Editor

Looking to try something new this week? Peruse the events below and make a point to attend something outside of your comfort zone. For more offerings, check out Anchor Link.

Disclaimer: Sources of event information are Anchor Link and Facebook

[su_spoiler title=”Educational” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Educational

What: What the heck is the Green New Deal?

When: Monday, March 11 at 12 p.m.

Where: Renaissance Room

Why: What better way to jump back into the swing of school than learning about environmental policy over lunch? The Energy and Environmental Law Society (EELS) and the Environmental Law and Policy Annual Review (ELPAR) will be leading a discussion about the about the pros, cons and feasibility of the policies outlined by the Green New Deal.

Who: Energy and Environmental Law Society and Vanderbilt Law School

What: Wikipedia ART+FEMINISM Edit-a-Thon

When: Wednesday, March 13 at 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Where: Central Library

Why: Come armed with your laptop; Vanderbilt faculty will be teaching students how to edit and improve Wikipedia articles about women artists, art historians, architects and more. There will be free food, GME, and the chance to rectify misinformation on the internet—what more could you want?

Who: Vanderbilt University Libraries

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Sports” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Sports

What: Baseball vs. Samford University

When: Tuesday, March 12 at 6:30 p.m.

Where: Hawkins Field

Why: Support our ‘Dores as they take on the Samford Bulldogs.

Who: Vanderbilt Athletics

What: Lacrosse vs. University of New Hampshire

When: Wednesday, March 13 at 3 p.m.

Where: Vanderbilt Lacrosse Complex

Why: Support our ‘Dores as they play the University of New Hampshire. Besides seeing what’s sure to be a good game, the first 200 fans will also get pizza.  

Who: Vanderbilt Athletics

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Cultural” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Cultural

What: Sports & Society: The World Came to Atlanta, and What it Left Behind

When: Tuesday, March 12 at 11:30 p.m.

Where: McGugin Center

Why: Charlie Battle, the attorney who helped Atlanta win its Olympic bid, shares the story of how Atlanta became the first southern city in the U.S. to host the Olympics, and how the games had a lasting impact on the city.

Who: Vanderbilt University Sports and Society Initiative

What: Quinn XCII @ Marathon Music Works

When: Tuesday, March 12 at 8 p.m., doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Where: Marathon Music Works

Why: Get back into the Music City groove after break with some Quinn XCII. The Detroit singer/songwriter hit mainstream success after being featured on ayokay’s single, “Kings of Summer.” His unique sound and ability to fuse pop, electronic, hip-hop and soul music made his debut album The Story of Us a hit in 2017. Tickets start at $25 and can be purchased here.

Who: Quinn XCII

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Recreational” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Recreational

What: The CLEAR YOUR SHELVES Book Drive

When: Monday, March 11 to Saturday, March 16

Where: Rand and Commons

Why: Get some spring cleaning in and donate all of your old books to Book’em, an organization that distributes books to economically disadvantaged kids in the Nashville area.

Who: Begin with Books

What: Alternative Milk Show

When: Friday, March 15 at 7:30 p.m. to 8:45 p.m.

Where: Sarratt Cinema

Why: Support our ‘Dores in their comedic endeavors; it’s always a good time to see an improv show.  

Who: Tongue ‘N’ Cheek

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Arts” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Arts

What: Dorothea Lange: Politics of Seeing at The Frist

When: Starting Friday, March 15

Where: The Frist

Why: Enjoy some stunning and moving photography by one of the greats, Dorothea Lange. Her photos, many of which were taken during the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl, focus on many issues that are still relevant today: poverty, environmental degradation, the erosion of rural communities, discrimination and women’s rights.

Who: The Frist

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”Health & Wellness” open=”no” style=”glass-blue” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Health & Wellness

What: UCC @ ICC Open Space

When: Monday, March 11 at 2 p.m.

Where: IICC Multicultural Lounge (Sarratt 335)

Why: Engage in an in informal conversation about making space for mistakes and feelings of shame in a welcoming environment.

Who: Inclusion Initiatives & Cultural Competence (IICC)

What: Walk around Radnor Lake State Park

When: Anytime

Where: 1160 Otter Creek Rd

Why: Escape the Vanderbubble and enjoy a beautiful lakeside stroll. Radnor Lake State Park is about 20 minutes away from campus, offering the perfect opportunity to enjoy some sunny spring weather.

Who: Nature lovers

[/su_spoiler]